Thread: Using a different MAF

Tuner in Training

Using a different MAF

For an LS Swap I'm doing I've got a 6.0L Vin U engine from a 2003 Express Van. In the van it used a goofy MAF Sensor, AC Delco Part # 19351884
    If you're looking for a MAF and plumbing at a scrap yard, it is much easier to find the AC Delco Part # 19330121 used in Silverados of the same year and VIN Code.

My question is: If I swap to the more common MAF will I have to do anything other than re-scale it? I've installed a different cam and bumped the compression, so I'm going to have some tuning to do anyway, so I'm not terribly worried about it. Just want to make sure I'm not making a big mistake grabbing a whole air cleaner/maf/plumbing setup off a Silverado.

Thanks,
    Joe

Tuner
    I was hoping that someone would answer this,I have the same van motor as you do,and the same question.I have been comparing files I have,2 Silverado a 2004 and 2006 and mine,and the only difference I have found is in the Engine/Airflow/General tab/ Maf Calibration Airflow vs Frequency table.I am running in SD mode,which I REALLY like,and I am just going to put the Silverado MAF on mine since I'm in SD mode and only need a sensor for IAT. I'm not sure if that is the only change needed to be done but I would like to know if I ever decide to turn it back on.Did i mention that I like SD mode,try it you'll like it.

Tuner in Training
    I'm nearly certain it can be done. I see posts about folks swapping in MAFs with larger diameters, so it shouldn't be a problem, but I wanted to make sure before I spent the money. I'm going to give it a go. I am going to put the Silverado MAF and Air Cleaner on mine and we will see what happens.
    Joe

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 89 Caprice 6.0L View Post
    I was hoping that someone would answer this,I have the same van motor as you do,and the same question.I have been comparing files I have,2 Silverado a 2004 and 2006 and mine,and the only difference I have found is in the Engine/Airflow/General tab/ Maf Calibration Airflow vs Frequency table.I am running in SD mode,which I REALLY like,and I am just going to put the Silverado MAF on mine since I'm in SD mode and only need a sensor for IAT. I'm not sure if that is the only change needed to be done but I would like to know if I ever decide to turn it back on.Did i mention that I like SD mode,try it you'll like it.
    I personally have fixed multiple issues in multiple different tunes that were running in SD only by enabling the MAF and tuning the MAF. Driveability is better with MAP/MAF blend in place than speed density alone. Actually I also prefer MAF only to SD only. The MAF is more consistently accurate once you dial it in than speed density is.

Tuner
    Ok,that is why we asked the question on what to change to run the 4in MAF sensor verses the 3 1/2in van one.Did I guess right on the where change needs to be done, the Airflow vs Frequency table ? Is there any other changes needed to be done elsewhere ? How I use my car,this is my toy,it is not my daily driver,short runs to the store,take the wife to work,the longest run it gets is the half hour drive with the scanner on. I built this for running down the quarter mile.Here is another question,will enabling the MAF give me a better quarter mile time ? I did install the wide band o2 sensor,but I am waiting on putting the larger MAF on to finish tuning because I'm sure it will change the ve table.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 89 Caprice 6.0L View Post
    Ok,that is why we asked the question on what to change to run the 4in MAF sensor verses the 3 1/2in van one.Did I guess right on the where change needs to be done, the Airflow vs Frequency table ? Is there any other changes needed to be done elsewhere ? How I use my car,this is my toy,it is not my daily driver,short runs to the store,take the wife to work,the longest run it gets is the half hour drive with the scanner on. I built this for running down the quarter mile.Here is another question,will enabling the MAF give me a better quarter mile time ? I did install the wide band o2 sensor,but I am waiting on putting the larger MAF on to finish tuning because I'm sure it will change the ve table.
    I would suggest pulling the OEM calibration for a setup with the MAF you are looking at going to and a similar intake layout. That would give you the best starting point in my experience. For example I tuned a GMT400 with a 5.3 and an 85mm MAF. The owner had a cone style filter mounted to the core support with a straight piece of hose between the MAF and TB. I ended up using a LS6 vette maf calibration to start with. Was much closer than the truck maf calibration even though they were physically the same MAF.

I think you would see small gains in average torque and hp using the MAF as well as more consistency. Also in my experience the throttle response is slightly better with a well tuned MAF in place.

Tuner
    Thank you for your answer.When I get the parts,I will start experimenting.