Thread: Pre-scale MAF & VE for CI increase

Advanced Tuner

Pre-scale MAF & VE for CI increase

Is there a recommended percentage to pre-scale the MAF & VE tables for a tuning starting point when converting from a naturally aspirated LS3 377 to a N/A 416 LS3?
    1998 NBM Camaro Z28
    LS3 motor
    Mod list

Make sure it is mechanically ready, Step one.

Since i do the MAF first I would make sure the displacement change is made in the cylinder volume table and and make sure trims are on and let her rip. If trims look good for the warm up i would take for quick rip around block. Add or remove as needed based on the trims and interpolate into high end of MAF. Next, I use scanner to kill trims and reset trims and then using wideband error make changes as needed. If your MAF curve was dialed before it may take very few changes. I use my MAF to build a rough VE table when logging. Once my MAF is dialed and my VE table should be starting to take shape. Kill the MAF and dial the VE table. Once done go back to blended, VE only or MAF only, what ever makes sense to you.

Advanced Tuner
    On the prior motor, fuel trims were generally below 5%, depending on the weather, and MAF & VE were dialed in on the prior motor. How do you treat the decel VE cells?

I already have a calibration configured with the displacement corrected, and only using MAF. I had planned to dial in MAF, then dial in VE, then go back to blended.
    1998 NBM Camaro Z28
    LS3 motor
    Mod list

Honestly I'd just do it the way you are thinking. Re-do the cylinder volume, change any other minor thing like injectors if you did. Maybe add a touch of base running airflow and start re-working the MAF and VE as needed.

You won't hurt anything that's for sure, if you take it slow.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.