Thread: No Injector Pulses - 2000 LS1 - Not starting

Tuner in Training

2000 LS1 - Cranking but not starting

Hey all. New to HPTuners and have only just managed to get around to getting the OBDI to talk to the factory ECU and my laptop... So happy right now.

The car:
    1958 Chevy Apache SWB running C4 Corvette independent front and rear suspension

The engine/trans:
    Stock LS1 and 4L60E from a 2000 VT Commodore. Stock wiring harness, all sensors connected to PCM including MAF, MAP, TPS, Coolant, AC, Cam, Crank, Air Temp, knocks, both O2, All Trans ... (Only EGR removed).

I definitely have fuel available as there is a leak from the join for the screw feed on the end of the LH rail.
    I can crank the engine till the battery goes flat
    I have disabled the VATS and completed the 2min "Write Entire"
    I have also tried the lesser "Write Calibration"
    There is no radiator or coolant. I am just trying to see if I can get it to crank and fire ATM before I go any further as I am unsure on the engine which I got from an stolen/recovered insurance sale which had started to be dismantled by the sticky fingers.

The Problem:
    Initially I thought there was no pulses for the injectors. They have 12v from my new EFI relay so I guess the ECU isnt triggering the earths as required but now I am not so sure.
    Edit: I thought I had spark but there now appears to be none !!!

I have tried:
    to setup and watch "Inj Bank1" and "Inj Bank2" but they dont seem to budge at all (like Inj duty %).
    checking with throttle open, closed, somewhere in between.
    With the throttle open I can see the MAF increase.
    I can see I have spark advance being induced.
    I have oil pressure (varying depending on crank but between 7-15 while cranking.

What am I missing. I am sure it will be something simple that I have missed.

Small log and the factory tune (less vats) attached.

Any help appreciated.

Q
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by QBRacing74; 03-21-2019 at 06:07 PM.

Tuner in Training
    I do have 1 question re the trans (in case anyone here knows it).

On the LHS there is some sort of electrical box for the selector. There are two plugs. The smaller one is plugged in and goes to the ecu wiring, the larger one is cut and I dont know where the other part of the loom is. The previously mentioned sticky fingers have cut that wire and toasted the plug which appears jammed in place now. What does the 2nd larger loom control (body ecm ? or manual selector ?)

Is there a way within the ECU software to see what gear the ECU thinks I am in. I have tried with the lever arm right forwards and all the way back but no difference to the crank issue. Obviously one is Park and the other G1, I just dont know what way around at present.
    Q

Senior Tuner SultanHassanMasTuning's Avatar
    check if there is any stored codes in the ecu.

maybe your need to remove immobilizer
    Follow @MASTUNING visit www.mastuned.com
    Remote Tuning [email protected]
    Contact/Whatsapp +966555366161

Tuner in Training
    02 Silverado Z71 4x4 RCSB SS

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by SultanHassanMasTuning View Post
    check if there is any stored codes in the ecu.

maybe your need to remove immobilizer
    there was three or four from memory. think they were o2 as I didn't have them connected at that time

yes I turned cats off and wrote entire

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by wodin67 View Post
    4l60 trans shift pin out
    thanks. do you have the pinout for the round one on the other side. pretty sure that's the line pressures though and know the one on the tail shaft is vss.

looking at your pic however I have the right hand option and only have the range signals connected.

my guess is that without the park/reverse connected (my cut and missing section) the bcm (which isnt installed) doesnt know what's happening to relay it to the pcm. I'm guessing I need to disable the prndl option in the PCM too as this is controlled by the monte carlo column I have in there atm

q
    Last edited by QBRacing74; 03-19-2019 at 11:21 PM.

I'd try disabling codes P1626 and 1630/31 for the VATS.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    @5FDP - Have done that and will upload tonight but cant test until tomorrow as my fuel rail is getting repaired (I dont enjoy squirting fuel 3-4 metres away at 55psi).

Also from my understanding doesn't disabling the SES only stop it displaying the check lamp (which I dont run) and setting no error stop when its reported.... By stopping reporting I wouldn't think it would fix the error of not starting, I just wont see it or am i mistaken ???

Regards
    Q

Tuner in Training
    @5FDP - I disconnected the fuel pump, disabled codes P1626 and 1630/31 as you suggested and tried again (obviously it wasn't going to fire but I can still see whats happening with the injectors).

referring to the attached log and diagnostic errors report I think it should now work. For some reason the inj cycle is working as is the bank 1 and bank 2.

I am a little worried it thinks I am in D4 to start with and park at the end considering I didnt touch the shifter but thats minor for now.

Should I be worried with the error code log?

q
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tuner in Training
    do you have the pinout for the round one on the other side..

Sorry i dont....i do have this link....http://www.lt1swap.com/99-02_vortec_pcm.htm

Tuner in Training
    I removed the plugs today and cranked it over. Im pretty sure I am getting fuel now as there was small puffs of some sort coming out the spark plug hole.

I checked I have power to the coil connectors (pink on right bank, green on left bank) and I do.

I left the plugs hanging on the chassis arm and/or manifold and cranked it over and got no spark on either bank (read no spark jump across any plug).

I checked both head earths were connected. I checked earth from engine to chassis and chassis to battery and battery to engine and chassis to PCM etc and there is connectivity everywhere.

From my logs above I am only cranking at 120 rpm which seems low to me, Is this normal.
    I have disabled the VAT and completed 2min write entire as well as removing the warning for vats.

I even tried earthing the brake wire (stop lamp switch) which is a brown wire on PCM connector blue 33

------------------------

Within HPTuners can I check if the ecu is trying to trigger the coils. I tried loading the 16 misfire channels but nothing read on any (not suprising as its not running).

What else do I need to check or disable within HPTuners to enable it to start as I have also tried prndl=none and that didnt help.

I go away for 2 weeks in 2 days and just want to hear it run before I go ....

Help
    Q

Tuner in Training
    wiring for park neutral switch...i think its needed by the ecm ,at least one (along with PRNDL off. i think)
    Capture.PNG
    http://www.lt1swap.com/Gen3_harness_...SWAP_comLQ.pdf
    Last edited by wodin67; 03-22-2019 at 02:04 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by wodin67 View Post
    wiring for park neutral switch...i think its needed by the ecm ,at least one (along with PRNDL off. i think)
    Capture.PNG
    http://www.lt1swap.com/Gen3_harness_...SWAP_comLQ.pdf
    thanks for that. I plan on going out today and checking testing all earths, v+ and v+ while cranking.

personally I dont see how supplying an earth to the connector as above (and refer your earlier attachment) will help when you dont have voltage hooked up (pink pin c) but I'll see if I can find it and try.

q

Tuner in Training
    ...been along time ..an i suffer from CRS.
    EDIT:not even sure if P/N input needed to start ?
    Anybody ?
    Last edited by wodin67; 03-22-2019 at 07:04 PM.

Tuner in Training
    UPDATE TIME
    Quickly pulled the fuel rail up and cranked it. never been so happy to see fuel squirting out all over the show.

can 100% confirm it's now only a no sparking issue.

have checked the 4 pcm earths, all have continuity to each other, both cylinder head earth points, the chassis and battery negative. all ok.

checked switched power on blue 19. ok

checked constant power on blue 20 and blue 57. ok

checked both coil plugs.
    A both banks = earth. continuity to each other, cylinder heads, chassis, battery negative and pcm earths
    H both banks = switched 12v. tested ok
    E both banks = to PCM red 60/61
    BCFG both banks = to various red pcm connectors. all have continuity.

on cranking there is no earth connection made by any of the triggering outputs on the pcm. I still think VATS or something is stopping the starting

ps. my wiring colors for the gear selector are way different to yours but do go to the right place so just must be they wanted different colors down under.

Tuner in Training
    just test and it fired. so weird. I only checked all the pins so unless something had a bad connection and now it's fixed... its alive.

ps. didn't put that extra earth wire on the gear selector.

thanks for the help

Tuner in Training
    take em any way u can get em. lol
    looks like its not needed to start...
    https://forum.efilive.com/showthread...r-Switch-(PNP)