Thread: Lq9 oil pressure sensor keeps blowing top off

Tuner in Training

Lq9 oil pressure sensor keeps blowing top off

The truck is a 07 classic with a lq9, g5x3 cam and bolt ons. Problem started last fall when I did a oil change. I always use valvoline full synthetic and either wix or k&n filter. After driving the truck for a few days with no issues I came across a mustang and ended up going wot for the WIN! At the snd of my pull I looked down and my pressure was climbing back up from 0. I determined that it only happened with high rpm, ended up being the sending unit. The unit was replaced and everything was great until a month ago when the top of the sending unit started to blow oil out of it, after a wot pull. I replaced it again and this morning I passed a few cars on the hwy and looked into my mirror to see tons of smoke. So I pull over to see what is going on and the damn sensor has blown the top off again. Has anyone had this problem or any ideas on what might be causing this to happen. Im planning on flushing the motor and changing the oil.
    06 QC sierra lq9, hardened pushrods, comp cam springs, lg g5x3, yank tt3000, cai, no cats

Tuner
    I've seen that happen in the last month on 2 vehicles, We ended up getting OEM sensors.So far no problem.

Does the pressure go very high on the guage? Have you measured it with a mechanical guage?

Even the ACDelco sensors mess up very often. I am not totally sure but it seems to be that the body (hex portion) distorts very easily. With the cam sensor bolt removed and the cam sensor to the side and a thin wall socket they have to be torqued very carefully. Still no guarantee.

Tuner
    The pressure runs normal on these 2 vehicles, you have to be extremely careful not to distort the housing as you install them. I've never hooked an analog gauge to the block to verify pressure.

Tuner in Training
    I just went to GM and picked up a oem sensor. Hopefully it will solve my issues. I'm not positive on how high the pressure goes when I'm wot. I'll pull up some of my old logs and see what they tell me.