Thread: Help me, going CRAZY! Make sure Im going in the right direction please.

Tuner in Training

Help me, going CRAZY! Make sure Im going in the right direction please.

Hello everyone!

New to the forums and new to tuning. Not so new to cars and how they operate.
    Need some advice and opinions before I blow the car up (mildly serious)

2000 Transam with an LS3, cam and bolt ons. 6 speed car.
    Using MPVI2 PRO

Injector data all correct, timing tables off of a stock ls3 camaro, and I have tuned the VE tables in SD using STFT.

**No matter WHAT I DID, I can NOT get my STFT into perfect parameters. Most are +-2 or 3, a few 4s and 5s, and a SELDOM 6 or 7.
    The cells that are higher than average looked like cells I didn't hit often (high load mid rpm for example). Every time I creeped in a cell for a few seconds it would creep closer to its target most of the time.
    I got it VERY close, but can't get it perfect. This is all at operating temperature.
    I said screw it and turned the maf back on, along with LTFT. Once I did this, I noticed my LTFT were in the 6 percent to 12 percent range depending on location. OK, running lean.
    I made a maf histogram with LTFT+STFT data and tuned my maf frequencies. BOOM, -2 to 3 across the board on LTFT, Im sure I can tweak them but thought that was pretty fair.
    Every time I adjusted my maf tables, my LTFT went down and the adjustments I needed to make in the histogram also went down. The car runs very well with a couple very mild hiccups that
    are probably attributed to fueling. The car pops for a split second under high load low rpm in third and 4th gear. In those areas my fuel trims both show they are OK.

I have a wideband, but have not used it to tune anything yet. I hooked it up PROPERLY to the scanner, and the WB just bounces around like a kid on sugar. Its an AEM 30-4110
    unit. I have read alot of others having this problem. Anybody have a work around for this??? Have it setup in AFR. Even in open loop it does the same thing. definitely a communication issue.

I did notice in the scanner even when my LTFT were adjusting fuel, my STFT were still showing values. They seemed to be zeroing in, maybe just not driving it far enough?

Hopefully this makes sense. I want to move on to tuning spark tables and WOT, but want to ultimately know if how I am fine tuning the fuel trims via MAF is sufficient?
    Last edited by 86buick1; 03-21-2019 at 11:35 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    Make sure your wideband is grounded good. Try even grounding it straight to the batttery as a test.
    Also anything 5 and below for STFT is fine IMO.

Maybe i misread somthing here.
    1997 30th SS. Torqhead 24x, TFS heads, 223/235 cam, 4l80e, S60 D1SC 14psi

Tuner in Training
    Short term in VE everything was very close to +-5.
    When my LTFT were turned on the STFT were still in the realm of +-5, they never really drop to 0 or close to 0, even after the LTFT make corrections. Or at least not what I can see

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 86buick1 View Post
    Short term in VE everything was very close to +-5.
    When my LTFT were turned on the STFT were still in the realm of +-5, they never really drop to 0 or close to 0, even after the LTFT make corrections. Or at least not what I can see
    How much long term corrections are there. I woudnt worry about +/-5% at all.
    Especially cammed
    1997 30th SS. Torqhead 24x, TFS heads, 223/235 cam, 4l80e, S60 D1SC 14psi

Tuner in Training
    Cool, thanks man. I have the longterms pretty well dialed in, its just when I look at my STFT histogram they are all still + - 5 (for the most part). When the LTFT dial in aren't the STFT going to drop to 0 or close to it?

Just want to make sure I am OK to start tuning in spark tables and WOT

Keep the LTFT's off while you are tuning. You are going to be chasing your tail forever. And, your STFT's are going to be different every day. One day they will be -2 and the next they will be -5 or +2. That's the way it is.
    2000 Camaro SS 2015 L83 port injected, Whipple 3.0, 4L80E, 8.8 Ford
    2013 Silverado 5.3, 6L80k 8.8

Tuner in Training
    Thanks brother.

I only turned the LTFTs on to get the MAF dialed in AFTER I trimmed my VE tables in SD, and it seems to have worked very well.
    Is there anything else I need to adjust before going into PE?

Tuner in Training
    Anyone else?