Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Total Newb Here, Duh...Check This Out Please

Tuner

Total Newb Here, Duh...Check This Out Please

Got the engine running and the scanner hooked up. If anyone knows anything about what they see on this video, feel free to speak up. Had to stop short because the rad cap was loose, spewed antifreeze and threw the belt.

5.3 liter DBW Gen III, 6.0 liter camshaft. Fresh rebuild.

Tuner
    Here's a video of it running yesterday:

Intake or exhaust leak on bank one. Or fuel pressure is not correct.

Or that o2 sensor is dead. You need to add the o2 sensor to the logs to verify if the sensor is working.

The short term trim was adding in 55% if it is indeed reading right. The long term trim was pegged at +25 as well.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner
    Thanks.

Only problem is I'm not familiar with short term trims, nothing. Sorry. All I've done so far is delete VATS to get it started.
    Oh, I just got that ST and LT stand for short term and long term.
    What are they supposed to be adding? How about the ST and LT numbers on bank 2? Are they normal?

Should there be readings on the KR, TPS, O2's and the injectors also?

I did find a PO300 code, Random Misfire.

Yes, add all those other channels. Those are very important channels to log as they are directly related to how things function within the computer and the tables you read in the file.

Generally speaking, trims should be within 3-5% of zero most of the time. Colder days, hotter days, humidity and other variables can skew those numbers slightly higher or lower. It's when you see +15 or -15 or in this case +25/55 you can tell you have a major issue on hand if all the sensors are working.

The misfire code for sure needs to be checked on, that can cause the trims to act crazy if say the injector is not firing or the spark plug/wire/coil is not working.

Fuel pressure on your engine stand needs to be 58psi to match the factory fuel pressure that they run in a vehicle.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    Yes, add all those other channels. Those are very important channels to log as they are directly related to how things function within the computer and the tables you read in the file.

Generally speaking, trims should be within 3-5% of zero most of the time. Colder days, hotter days, humidity and other variables can skew those numbers slightly higher or lower. It's when you see +15 or -15 or in this case +25/55 you can tell you have a major issue on hand if all the sensors are working.

The misfire code for sure needs to be checked on, that can cause the trims to act crazy if say the injector is not firing or the spark plug/wire/coil is not working.

Fuel pressure on your engine stand needs to be 58psi to match the factory fuel pressure that they run in a vehicle.

Thanks.

How to add those other channels?

I'll check the fuel pressure tomorrow.
    I have a stethoscope, can check the sound of all the injectors. These were on the engine when I bought it so unproven.
    I can swap O2's side to side to see if it follows. Good idea?

I found a good video explaining the ST and LT fuel trims. It really helped knowing what the ST and LT stood for.
    Thanks again.

This is going to be a brutal learning curve.

Right click a blank row in the channels list on the left to add a channel. Or click the gear icon at the top of the channels list.

Tuner
    Right click a blank row in the channels list on the left to add a channel. Or click the gear icon at the top of the channels list.
    Thanks. I'll try that tonight.

Tuner
    Fuel pressure right at 58 PSI.
    Injectors ticking away but all have slightly different sound.

Tuner
    I swapped O2's side to side but, D'OH!, I allowed a Windows update and I don't think it will ever finish.

Tuner
    I swapped O2's side to side and the numbers for ST and LT followed the O2 sensor.
    I'm assuming the O2 is bad? And the second one, not much better?

If it follows, then it's the sensor.

Log the o2 channels as said above so you can monitor the sensors better.

Tuner
    If it follows, then it's the sensor.

Log the o2 channels as said above so you can monitor the sensors better.
    Thanks.

I was logging them but it wouldn't even hold an idle.
    However, I did see one was at .309 and the other .778

Tuner
    OK, swapped Bank 2, O2 with a new one and that worked really well.

I then added a new one on Bank 1, no good still.
    Attached Images Attached Images

The screen shot doesn't help much.

If the sensor is switching lean and rich of stoich (450mv), the sensor is working. If the sensor is not stuck in one place or reading a constant value like 100, 900 or 450mv, the sensor should be okay. Verify the fuse is okay and start checking on why bank 1 still has crazy high fuel trims.

Log misfire, use a temp gun on the manifolds to make sure everything is same temp for each cylinder. Smoke test for vacuum leaks.

Tuner
    The screen shot doesn't help much.

If the sensor is switching lean and rich of stoich (450mv), the sensor is working. If the sensor is not stuck in one place or reading a constant value like 100, 900 or 450mv, the sensor should be okay. Verify the fuse is okay and start checking on why bank 1 still has crazy high fuel trims.

Log misfire, use a temp gun on the manifolds to make sure everything is same temp for each cylinder. Smoke test for vacuum leaks.
    Thanks.

Yeah, both new sensors bouncing around and doing their thing.
    I'll have to research on the smoke test.

Temp gun doesn't show any cold exhaust manifolds, although one on the good side seems 30 degrees hotter. Maybe thinner casting at that point.

Tuner
    Damn, made a smoker and no intake leaks.

Ok, that's good.

I'd try adding the misfire channels for each cylinder and watch that. Also because you have now replaced the o2 sensors, try just resetting the trims with the VCM scanner under the special functions/control icon.

Not much more it can be if you have no intake or exhaust leaks pre-o2 sensor.

Tuner
    Thanks.

I found a YouTube vid showing how. Sweet.
    Will check it tomorrow.

Tuner
    Just went out to add misfire channels and I cannot find them. My VCM Scanner doesn't have them.
    What??