Thread: New user - RaceRender not reading GoPro Hero7 meta data

Potential Tuner

New user - RaceRender not reading GoPro Hero7 meta data

I'm working on creating my first videos with my new gopro and race render. I created my first video and was super pleased to see that I could get some telemetry data straight from the camera. So I created the base video with speedo, Gs, etc. Pretty Straight forward. That was session 3 of the day.
    But now I'm trying to create videos of the 1st and 2nd sessions of the day and when I import the GoPro MP4s, it's not reading the meta data, so no track diagram, speedo, Gs, etc.
    What am I missing? I can see the 2 video files and the merged data file in the input files section.

I've restarted Race render and tried again with no luck. I did go back and create a brand new project with the third session and it put up the telemetry data without a problem. So, something is obviously wrong with the meta data in the first 2 sessions. Any ideas?

I did recopy the raw files off of the SD card again with no change.

Thanks

John S.

Potential Tuner
    I did have a revelation.... I opened up the CSV data file and realized that a bunch of the rows of data at the beginning didn't have lattitude, longitude or speed data, so I removed those rows. After opening the project back up, I had the speedo working (but it's out of sync with the video), but I still don't have the track map or Gs, lap times, etc.

So the question is... (probably need to get on the gopro forums), how do I get the camera to not have bad metadata...

Potential Tuner
    ah ha... although there was some data at the beginning, it was bad (Had me at 10000 ft of altitude and the lat and long was way off from the rest of the data), removed those rows and I have a track map, g, etc. Now to figure out syncing.

Potential Tuner
    well, close, but no cigar. RaceRender doesn't recognize the track like in the first video I did, so I don't have laptimes.... but I guess I will declare victory on this.

Potential Tuner
    I think I know what happened...
    in the first 2 videos, I used the shutter button to turn the camera on and start recording. So while it was recording, it was locking on the GPS, etc.
    In the second video, I had powered it on with the power button, started a video, and stopped that video, and then started a new video. So by the time I started recording, the GPS was happy.
    So, just closing this conversation out.

Tuner in Training
    Useful info, re starting the camera before starting the recording. Thanks for following up on yourself.