Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: E80A help and clarification

Tuner in Training

E80A help and clarification

Hello,
    I am having a hard time understanding this PCM. I would like to tune VVE tables only and leave the car non-MAF. The stock tune appears to have MAF dis-abled with high RPM's, am I reading that correctly? I assume to keep the car in VVE only, I would need to change the MAF htz, and remove the PID from logging?
    My plan was to start with part throttle up to around 4k RPMs dialing in fuel trims before starting on WOT fuel trims. After Im finished dialing in both, what all should I re activate in my tune?
    Turn COT back on, PE, piston protection??
    Any help on what I should turn off to start VVE fuel trim tuning, and what I should turn back on after Im done would be greatly appreciated. Seems to be little information on this PCM that I can find. Thank you for taking the time to read
    Attached Files Attached Files

Advanced Tuner
    You cant tune wot with trims. Only with a wideband. the tune is set up to run a blend tune up until the high rpm disable settings and then the maf takes over for primary fueling but up until then it will blend so if it reads 4000 disable and 3900 re enabled then that means it uses a blend up until 4k then maf only. Im mobile so I dont know the actual numbers set. just giving an example. If you want vve always then you need to set those to like 8000/7900, set maf hz to 0 and set the dtcs p0101-p0103 mil on first error and un check ses enable. You need to disable all outside fueling influences like cot,pp,knock enrich,turbo over temp because these all add fueling and will screw with the afr. After you get it all dialed in you don't have to but that's up to you if you want them back on or not

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by TCSS07 View Post
    You cant tune wot with trims. Only with a wideband. the tune is set up to run a blend tune up until the high rpm disable settings and then the maf takes over for primary fueling but up until then it will blend so if it reads 4000 disable and 3900 re enabled then that means it uses a blend up until 4k then maf only. Im mobile so I dont know the actual numbers set. just giving an example. If you want vve always then you need to set those to like 8000/7900, set maf hz to 0 and set the dtcs p0101-p0103 mil on first error and un check ses enable. You need to disable all outside fueling influences like cot,pp,knock enrich,turbo over temp because these all add fueling and will screw with the afr. After you get it all dialed in you don't have to but that's up to you if you want them back on or not
    Thank you for that information on outside fuelling. I assume dis able PE also. On the stock tune MAF is set 7200RPM dis able, 7000RPM re enable. The car only see's 6400rpm max, so does that mean its not used, or is it still a blend of vve and maf? I'm confused. The tip on WOT fuelling is helpful. I would have done it wrong. Unfortunately I am in a very remote area, and no one with knowledge is reachable. This car has wideband from the factory, how should I set up a histogram for WOT tuning?. I must be missing some information there. Perhaps cylinder air mass VS other parameters? Really appreciate your help. Most kind.

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    Maf is not used from factory for active airmass calculations.
    Must tune vve using wideband to get accurate results. Look for the arm wideband that has a rs232 signal wire. That's the new favorite sensor

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by cobaltssoverbooster View Post
    Maf is not used from factory for active airmass calculations.
    Must tune vve using wideband to get accurate results. Look for the arm wideband that has a rs232 signal wire. That's the new favorite sensor
    Oh thank you very much!! Most appreciated! Now some of my confusion is dissolved, and the factory setting makes more sense. I believe I have found the correct signal - WB EQ ratio 1 SAE (2) in lambda.
    Still confused on WOT tuning though. I only have literature for MAF WOT tuning.

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    just record afr or lambda error against the vve table and when you go into wot the corrections required will be plotted in the vve histogram.
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by cobaltssoverbooster View Post
    just record afr or lambda error against the vve table and when you go into wot the corrections required will be plotted in the vve histogram.
    Oh my, I feel silly!!
    I was thinking this, but convinced myself that could not be right. Thank you once again, that makes sense now!!

Sorry for hijack but I did not want to start a new thread. Regarding this controller, is it possible to pull them regular and tune away? I'm referring to how the other software requires a preliminary cracking of the encryption in the ECU before it can even be read. Can someone please explain, I did not see any advertisement for cracking the E80 so it can be read so hence I ask. Thanks!!
    '12 Caprice PPV 6.0 L77 - daily transportation
    8.7 @ 84 (1/8 mile) bolt-ons

'02 Silverado RCSB 5.3 L59 - regularly street driven
    8.2 @ 86 (1/8 mile) stock cam and spray
    8.6 @ 84 (1/8 mile) cam and heads no spray

Our YOUTUBE CHANNEL featuring the Silverado

Tuner in Training
    If I understand correctly (please excuse if not) but yes, it can be read. The TCM cannot be read before unlock.

ok thanks with the other you unlock the ecm and the tcm unlocks itself
    '12 Caprice PPV 6.0 L77 - daily transportation
    8.7 @ 84 (1/8 mile) bolt-ons

'02 Silverado RCSB 5.3 L59 - regularly street driven
    8.2 @ 86 (1/8 mile) stock cam and spray
    8.6 @ 84 (1/8 mile) cam and heads no spray

Our YOUTUBE CHANNEL featuring the Silverado

Tuner in Training
    Yes. I believe only 2016 gets both pcm and tcm at time of credit purchase. 17 tcm had to be physical removal for unlock, THEN buy credit also. Much costs involved

Advanced Tuner
    I have a 2017 chevy Cruze with the ecm e80a. It cost 4 credits to unlock the ecm and the tcm unlocked with it

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by TCSS07 View Post
    I have a 2017 chevy Cruze with the ecm e80a. It cost 4 credits to unlock the ecm and the tcm unlocked with it
    On your e80a ECM, does it have flex fuel sensor drop down under "Engine/Fuel/Flex Fuel"?

Quote Originally Posted by Boost View Post
    Sorry for hijack but I did not want to start a new thread. Regarding this controller, is it possible to pull them regular and tune away? I'm referring to how the other software requires a preliminary cracking of the encryption in the ECU before it can even be read. Can someone please explain, I did not see any advertisement for cracking the E80 so it can be read so hence I ask. Thanks!!
    No credits were purchased and hooking it up to my mobile hotspot, I was able to "read entire" both the ECM and TCM

20200314_161711.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by pbarton2120 View Post
    On your e80a ECM, does it have flex fuel sensor drop down under "Engine/Fuel/Flex Fuel"?
    I have a 2018 Cruze and It shows that the flex fuel is already enabled.......... Its a "commercial vehicle" are those flex fuel cars? On 93 octane it is only running a round 5-10 degrees of timing and only using a max of 11% IDC. This is leading me to believe that my car is a flex fuel car.

Quote Originally Posted by v8sten View Post
    No credits were purchased and hooking it up to my mobile hotspot, I was able to "read entire" both the ECM and TCM

20200314_161711.jpg

Your Cruze has a 6 speed trans. It's the 8 / 9 and 10 speed trans TCM's that are locked.

Quote Originally Posted by v8sten View Post
    I have a 2018 Cruze and It shows that the flex fuel is already enabled.......... Its a "commercial vehicle" are those flex fuel cars? On 93 octane it is only running a round 5-10 degrees of timing and only using a max of 11% IDC. This is leading me to believe that my car is a flex fuel car.
    You can test with E10 to be safe and if the flexfuel sensor is reading the alcohol content in HPT than you can add just a bit of E85 and see if the sensor reports a higher alcohol content.

Tuner in Training
    When tuning VVE and disabling MAF to fail, why must the MAF PID be removed from logging? What happens if you tune with a WB and do AFR error but the maf channel is in the log?

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by ATrim View Post
    When tuning VVE and disabling MAF to fail, why must the MAF PID be removed from logging? What happens if you tune with a WB and do AFR error but the maf channel is in the log?
    From what I've seen it then just logs the MAF Hz but doesn't use it.

Keep something in mind trying to tune vve here. The ecm is moving the cams multiple times per log 1000s of times on a log actually. Look at your vve editor it has a different table for every degree of cam change on intake and exhaust. If you edit at 0 degrees go look at your coefficient tables nothing has changed in the cam timing tables only in the main map. Nothing intake cam nothing under exhaust cam at any given time the intake can be 0-25 degrees same on exhaust do you see my point on this? When hptuners created the editor it doesn?t seem to be around cars that have two cams and always moving. This is one primary reason v8 we lock the cam when do a swap so vve can be actually tuned correctly. Just some food for thought on this platform that I tune all the time and do a lot of these cars.