Thread: how to idle in open loop

Tuner in Training

how to idle in open loop

my truck has lumpy cam and long tube headers. idles good in open loop but, once in closed loop it adds fuel like crazy. i can figure out how to idle in open loop but run in closed loop everywhere else. can some one look at my tune to see what im missing.

truck mods include- vortec super charger, comp cam 54-600-11, gm performance valve springs, 2.5" intercoller tubs, front mounted intercooler, long tube headers, no cats, 3" single exhaust, 4.10 gears, HD 4l60e, and many more
    Attached Files Attached Files

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    you can not select a range of operation for the trim system. it is either on or off.

if you use a properly integrated wideband and tune solely off the wideband in open loop conditions with the trim system shut down then you shouldnt have an issue with diving trims.
    it is likely your airflow, ve, and some other settings are causing your trims to dive aggressively.

What kind of idle tuning steps have you performed thus far?
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

Tuner in Training
    wide band works good. but with the amount of cam overlap and long tube headers there is not much o2 activity at idle. my driving trims are good. just over a few days of driving my fuel trims at idle only go to +15 or higher. at which time my wide band is showing 12-12.5. while it is doing this if i command open loop wide band climbs back to 14.7 quite quickly.
    As far as which tuning step. I followed two different guides i found on here and one on a ls tech website. One of them had me use PE being commanded at idle and it worked best, but it didnt seem right.

did you adjust the pid controls for the oxygen sensors?

you can use pe but it forces open loop all the time. if you disable trims then once again you are open loop all the time. the only real threshold is temperature and run time.

Tuner in Training
    have not adjusted the pid controls for o2, cause im not sure what that is.

pid is the control system that dictates how fast corrections are made and how closely it tracks adjustments.
    see if you can find some information on that system should help you out with the cam and headers

Tuner in Training
    thanks for the help. been reading some threads on PID adjustments and believe this should correct my idle with some experimentation.