Thread: flex tune not adding timing.

Tuner in Training

flex tune not adding timing.

So i have been playing with spark settings and adaptive knock settings and i cant seem to get any decent spark advance from the Flex adder maps. It also seems like the higher i make the flex adder the more likely i am to drop to Base timing maps. This is a bone stock 2019.
    Attached Files Attached Files

your tq tables look off

look at your load

Quote Originally Posted by LastPlace View Post
    your tq tables look off

look at your load
    His torque looks good actually - LOAD is high but not that bad. His problem is in fuel trims - MAF needs some work.

As for the SPARK it enters BASE so it's hitting a limiter from SPARK group hence the Torque Reduction.

Senior Tuner
    A limit could mean base, and also MBT could mean base.

With good 93 you can get very close to MBT on the stock calibration.

The MBT values for E10 and E85 will be different due to flame speed. Just like MBT has a lambda modifier, you should populate the FFV modifier for MBT. That way it goes up with the higher inferred alch% and doesn't limit you. Or just use the higher MBT values and if 93 gets you above true MBT, no big deal.

Senior Tuner
    Looked at your tune file and log, you are hitting MBT.

You shouldn't be, but your STFT go rich, spiking your load indicated by last place. Figure that out and you will be much better off.

You can also see in the picture your MBT and Borderline PID are very slow, but from torque ratio and the knock advance you can see where you hit MBT. Next time someone says 5% off on fuel trims is ok they are lying.

FF torque ratio no knock advance.PNG

I would try changing your FFV DI desired axis values to like I show in the picture below. This is an issue with HPT editor that it comes pulled from the car 10X to large. Someone should let support know.

FF DI desired axis.PNG
    Last edited by murfie; 03-27-2019 at 12:13 AM.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by murfie View Post
    A limit could mean base, and also MBT could mean base.

With good 93 you can get very close to MBT on the stock calibration.

The MBT values for E10 and E85 will be different due to flame speed. Just like MBT has a lambda modifier, you should populate the FFV modifier for MBT. That way it goes up with the higher inferred alch% and doesn't limit you. Or just use the higher MBT values and if 93 gets you above true MBT, no big deal.
    This is how i have them setup in that file. I figured this was a good starting point. The timing advance i see in the logs is about 1 degree over what i was getting on 93octane even though i am at 65% ethanol and requesting 4 degrees more. flex adders.pngflex lambda.png

I am confused as to where the adder table puts the added spark.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by murfie View Post
    Looked at your tune file and log, you are hitting MBT.

You shouldn't be, but your STFT go rich, spiking your load indicated by last place. Figure that out and you will be much better off.

You can also see in the picture your MBT and Borderline PID are very slow, but from torque ratio and the knock advance you can see where you hit MBT. Next time someone says 5% off on fuel trims is ok they are lying.

FF torque ratio no knock advance.PNG

I would try changing your FFV DI desired axis values to like I show in the picture below. This is an issue with HPT editor that it comes pulled from the car 10X to large. Someone should let support know.

FF DI desired axis.PNG

So in the FFV DI tables the flex and normal should not be the same values? That was what you had noticed was my fuel limit previously. Also i am not seeing the log values for TQ ratio in my scanner setup.

I was planning on messing with the maf curve next. I also noticed it richening up as the rpms climb. Either ford never expected that airflow or my VE is dropping hard for some reason.

Senior Tuner
    No they will be different, for the same load ethanol will have a higher fuel mass. hence the lower stoich value. If you go back to that thread, I didn't make the axis values the same either.

torque ratio is a math you would need to setup as engine brake torque divided by schedule torque.

I would leave the MAF alone on a completely stock car. you either are not going to change it enough to make a difference, or change it enough to make it worst.

Senior Tuner
    Get the fuel corrected, that will get the load corrected, that will get you in the right spot of the spark tables, and This is what your load and MAF will look like once you get the fuel trims corrected compared to what you have now. Very impressive, but not unrealistic. MBT wouldn't be until 28-29*, which is possible with good e85.

Corrected load and MAF.PNG
    Last edited by murfie; 03-27-2019 at 03:42 AM.