Thread: Write transfer timed out.

Potential Tuner

Write transfer timed out.

I swapped a 2000 5.3l into a 1969 C10, I'm new to tuning and swapping. So I wrote entire with the vats on "none", the fuel pump primed and everything like it should and it started and ran like it should. I killed it and tried to start it again and the fuel pump is not getting signal from the Ecm. Then I read that you may have to set a few dtc's to "no error reported" so I did and as I tried to rewrite the ecm it says write transfer timed out? Any thoughts?

Connection error with the OBD2 maybe?
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    The lights flash like the vcm like normal and it will do the erase and clean up process but when it starts to write it will stay at 0.0 percent and then after a minute or 2 it will say write transfer timed out.

Hmm, I'd have to read more on that error because I don't really know.

In the mean time, is the software using the newest version and is your framework using the newest version too? I forget what is needed now, 4.2 or 4.5??

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    I'm not sure I'll check on it. Thanks

Potential Tuner
    I'm running the lastest software. I trie to write it back to the stock tune and it still says write timed out. Could the vats cause this?

No, VATS won't cause that.

Email support, it's your best option.

Potential Tuner
    Okay thankyou

Potential Tuner
    So what happened?

Tuner in Training
    Any answer to this?

Advanced Tuner
    Do you have anything else hooked to the data line. my 2003 will act like this when the radio is turned on, I suspect it has to do with the adapter that interfaces the radio to the factory harness. I have heard some custom gauges can also interfere with the data.

Tuner
    I had the exact same issue with an australian Holden adventra (p01), no matter what i did, pull fuses, battery power supply, untick high speed it would do the exact same.
    i ended up just bench flashing it instead as no one could give me any reason or answer to it falling over.
    never had any issues with previous MPVI1 on this particular vehicle , have had no issues with any other controllers using the same MPVI2, e38, p59 etc.

Potential Tuner
    I also had the same issue in my 2005 Silverado (P59 ECM). Every time I pressed Write, it would initialize and erase the ECU, then when it got to the actual writing step, sometimes it would get to 20%, sometimes only 5%, and sometimes it would just stay at 0%, the a few seconds later my gauges would fade out, and it would timeout. I do also have an aftermarket radio with a CAN adapter module for remote on signal and has the door ajar beeper (since the original was in the stock radio). What I ended up doing to get it to work was just unchecked the "Use High Speed" check box. When I tried it again after that, it wrote just fine and completed successfully. Only took round 2 minutes total to write, so not terrible (way better than "another brand" programmer I used to use in the early days). After that, my truck then fired up and everything worked like it should! Just something to maybe try if you're getting timeout issues during writing? I will also note, I ran into this issue with the new MPVI2 Pro, I did not have this issue with my MPVI1 Pro, so it's got something to do with the newer HPTuners box that didn't happen on the original one. (Running the latest VCM v4.8.7 as of this post)...
    Last edited by SCBurn; 01-29-2021 at 10:52 AM.

Tuner
    Okay so I just ran into this issue with a 2004 Silverado 4.3 with a p59 in it. So I could not write and tire using high speed or low speed it would time out at about 2%. So I switched it over to write calibration and of course I haven't switched off the power or anything at all. My main concern was getting a full right one way or another just to get it to you know finish. So I just did a right calibration and mind you this is the first time that I've ever written to this ECU. So high speed timed out on write entire and low speed timed out on write entire. That high-speed timed out when I tried to write the calibration only. But it didn't time out on low speed. So I tried to write it on low speed and then I tried after that finish to write entire on high speed and low speed and it timed out. So yet again I went back to low speed calibration only let that finish to 100% which it did fine then against my better judgment I keyed off and then try to start of course it wouldn't start. After that I flicked the vehicle back into run and then try to write entire at high speed and at first it didn't work and without closing anything or turning anything off I tried it again and it worked just fine and it looks like now it's about to complete the whole rewrite. Not sure what happened there. There is an aftermarket Kenwood in the vehicle that is supposed to interface with the car but it looks like it just does it through the steering wheel wiring it doesn't interface with any sort of like car Network. And she also has a viper security alarm on it which was not disabled but I did pull the fuse on the stereo just to be sure. Anyway that's how I got it to completely rewrite for the first time using my mpvi to and whatever version of HP tuners I have it's only like a couple versions old maybe from a couple months I just have not updated. Nevertheless I got it to successfully right and everything seems to be fine and I'm about to start it here in a second. But I did want to let you know that when I was Google searching to figure out if anybody else had this issue with this vehicle or this ECU or whatever that this is what I did to get it to fully right without having a bench flash it. So I'm sorry about the necromancy but I figured this might help if somebody else runs across it in the future cuz this is how I managed to get it to work
    "Insert some inspirational or smart*** quote here..." - Some Dude
    software_engineer.net_sec.linux_hero
    www.dusette.net
    RoninDusette@github

Potential Tuner
    i was having this issue to and put my flashlight on the sunload sensor making the vehicle think that it was day time and it wrote after multiple failed attempts. the sunload sensor is on the top of your dash in the middle of the two defrost vents, its the little red thing poking up out of the dash. with the key on put your light on the sensor, then turn the key off, then cycle the light switch from auto to park then back to auto, then turn on the key if the lights are still on wait for them to turn off, then write the file. so far this has worked for solving the write transfer issue, however if you still encounter the downloaded issue just keep writing until it takes.