Thread: Help with lowering 1-2 shift. Hitting rpm limiter

Senior Tuner

Help with lowering 1-2 shift. Hitting rpm limiter

I'm hitting the limiter on the 1-2 shift. Without being able to test on the street is there a way to determine from this log how much to reduce my 1-2 mph? In this log my file 1-2 was set at 31 mph. Would like for shift rpm about 6400-6500 shift.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files

Advanced Tuner
    This is really a trial and error kind of thing in my experience. You can try looking at where the the gear change actually went from 1-2 and seeing the rpm difference from where you had it set and where it actually made the change and work your way backward. I'd say 28 is probably a good place to start if this log was from 31. Usually what I'll do is start low and work my way up because short shifting is usually better off than limiter recovery.

Senior Tuner
    Actually from looking at my chart and trying every calculation I could think of, 28 is what I had planned to try. But looks like it's a trial and error process like you said. Maybe I can find somebody with an LT4 making about the same power that will give me a recommendation. Thanks for your reply!

I would have made a change and tried again at the track but it took 1 1/2 hours to make the one pass I made. Houston Raceway was a tad crowded that night.

Tuner in Training
    i've had to lead the 1-2, 2-3 shifts pretty aggressively with big power builds. Have had to pull the shift RPM down to 5800 to keep from hitting rev limiter of 6400 in lower gears (~800whp). Don't be afraid to drop the mph and rpm a lot and work back up. It's less frustrating than slowly dropping down and continuing to hit the limiter