Thread: (Gen 4) Tuning problems.

Question (Gen 4) Tuning problems.

Hello All I'm new to tuning. The speed Density tables are messing me up.
    I have watched several videos and have tried to understand the Forum thread on Speed Density.
    I'm also having a idle issue and probably more. I do not have a Wide band at the moment. Here are the specifics.

2007 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
    5.3L LMG (GEN 4) E38
    DOD Deleted
    BTR Stage 3 Truck Cam
    Long Tube Headers and Full 3" Flowmaster American Thunder Exhaust System
    JET Throttle Body #76101 with Powr-Flo spacer #62143
    Cold Air Intake STD MASS Airflow

Base Tune Log.hpl Base Tune.hpt

Any Help would be Great
    Thanks
    Changes are everyday a good Tune is forever.

Are you asking about setting up for speed density?

The main things would be failing the MAF sensor correctly, then creating a special graph/chart to log the VVE data so you can input the corrections into the VVE editor.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

As I understand there are people that do SD and people to use the MAF I do not know the best way but this is a daily not race just a Daily Sleeper.

Yes, you could do it either way.

If you want to use the MAF, then you'll want to calibrate both the MAF and VVE to fix the whole airflow model. Keeping the MAF is a good idea, it's very accurate and I see no reason to tune only in speed density with what you have here.

Getting a wideband is key, that is the only way I'd try to calibrate this vehicle. You can find several write ups in the VCM scanner section sticky pages for settings up your logs to get this data.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

I have setup my logs with the LTFT/STFT and thought they looked close to the +or- 4% most of it anyway the Idle seems to be lean if i Bump it up 3% where it idles at it throws the whole thing off. You said calibrate the MAF wouldn't its setup be calibrated if i have not changed it. The MAF is the original. I cannot afford a wideband at this time (I wish). I do have 2 new O2 Sensors that appear to be reading correct that's never the best way just all i have atm.

No, the MAF would not be calibrated. It would only be correct if the engine was stock. Now the engine is sucking in more air than ever before because of the camshaft swap and exhaust work, so the MAF curve has to be re-done.

The airflow tables like the MAF and VVE should be thought of as fueling tables. The more you add to the MAF or VVE, the more fuel you are giving it and vise versa.

Also if you tune the VVE, the MAF still has to be disabled. Otherwise you are trying to calibrate this using a blend of MAF and VVE instead of just the VVE.

Cool I will look into calibrating the MAF I have read about the the VVE tables tuning I think I understand that part maybe lol. I do appreciate you taking the time to point me on the right track because my map is all messed up lol

5FDP Could you point me in the direction of any forum posts that discuss how to calibrate the MAF?

Yes you can get rid of the PE delay and change your PE throttle position if you so desire. Note your fuel efficiency will take a hit depending on if you are throwing it into PE sooner.
    2006 GTO 403ci lsa heads kooks long tubes corsa ss exhaust OTR intake HPTuned

2010 GMC Sierra LMM Duramax. Exhaust and tuned