Thread: Wideband in tailpipe reading crazy lean

Wideband in tailpipe reading crazy lean

I have my wideband hooked up to an innovate exhaust clamp in my tailpipe. At idle afr is 24+!, while cruising it's all over the place but usually around 18-20 afr. Is having the sensor in the tailpipe really throwing me off that bad? I expected it to be a little off but this seems rather excessive. Commanded afr is 14.68

Senior Tuner SultanHassanMasTuning's Avatar
    tailpipe reading is purely for WOT

best is to install in the exhaust downstream and disable o2 to dial in the car
    Follow @MASTUNING visit www.mastuned.com
    Remote Tuning [email protected]
    Contact/Whatsapp +966555366161

Thanks for the input, I appreciate it. I understand that the tailpipe sensor is just meant for WOT. I was just wondering if seeing wacko afr like this is normal at idle with the sensor placed there? This is my first tune so I've been kind of second guessing myself through the entire process. One more question though. Since I'm road tuning, as MPH increases during a WOT pull, could the turbulence become great enough behind the car to throw off the afr lean? At least enough to really matter?

Advanced Tuner
    It's only going to be close when there's enough exhaust velocity to overcome the fresh air coming in.

Alright I'll give it a go later today

In the tailpipe you will not only get reversion of fresh air coming in to make it read lean, but the exhaust gasses also lose energy as they pass thru the exhaust system and are much cooler at the tailpipe than the sensor needs to stay at. So even at WOT, I wouldn't trust the reading of a WB in the tailpipe, as the element is cooling off and throwing the readings off.
    2006 Pontiac GTO
    M6
    Flex Fuel enabled
    FIC1000 shorty Injectors
    DW300C Fuel pump
    UPP GTO Auxiliary fuel system
    BoostDistrict LSA Conversion
    BTR Stage 3 PDS Torque cam and kit
    Kooks Longtube headers with High Flow Cat mids
    BoostDistrict LSA CAI with LS7 MAF module
    Mickey Mouse Catch Can
    Hinson 1/2" lowered Engine Mounts
    Magnaflow 3" Cat Back Competition Exhaust
    PLX DM-6 Wideband
    Turbo Technologies Full Flex fuel Tune

I appreciate all the inputs. Funny enough I lost the clamp driving down the highway yesterday lol