Thread: Weird One - ECT gauge not working but VCM scanner and screen gauges reads it?

Senior Tuner

Weird One - ECT gauge not working but VCM scanner and screen gauges reads it?

So in doing some rewiring I switched my IAT and coolant wiring. First fire up IATs went up with the coolant temps. I switched the wires back, scanner now sees the temps as well as the gauge in the NAV screen (SRT gauges) but the analog gauge just sits at zero. It sweeps on start up but never reads.

What gives? Did I fry the gauge somehow?

Senior Tuner
    So a little further info thinking back, I actually had two rounds of bad wiring. First round was I had my 5v supply for the MAP sensor feeding the ECT signal wire to the ECU. I then switched and got the right wires connected, but still had the ECT and IAT wires switched. Lastly fixed that wiring. I don't think the ECT and IAT switching did any harm as they are basically the same Ohm in/out, but certainly seems like sending the 5v signal through the ECU did some harm to the gauge cluster.

Weird thing is the gauge sweeps at key on, so its still getting something from the CAN BUS.

Quote Originally Posted by 06300CSRT8 View Post
    So a little further info thinking back, I actually had two rounds of bad wiring. First round was I had my 5v supply for the MAP sensor feeding the ECT signal wire to the ECU. I then switched and got the right wires connected, but still had the ECT and IAT wires switched. Lastly fixed that wiring. I don't think the ECT and IAT switching did any harm as they are basically the same Ohm in/out, but certainly seems like sending the 5v signal through the ECU did some harm to the gauge cluster.

Weird thing is the gauge sweeps at key on, so its still getting something from the CAN BUS.

Coolant sensor is wired directly to pcm. Sent to cluster via Can bus. I highly doubt that you harmed the gauge as it has no way of voltage being applied to it.

Senior Tuner
    Going to try to recalibrate it tonight, see if it was just out of calibration from the 5v signal.