Thread: 05 5.9 Cummins 5.9

Potential Tuner

05 5.9 Cummins 5.9

Quick question- digging into the calibration of my 5.9- peering into the maps- I've found that the MAIN SOI Timing- (there are five maps- the transient, the high density, mid- high density, mid low and low density) it 'seems' that a more positive value the more advanced the timing- BTDC while a negative value occurs ATDC. That is my take away so far.

This seems the same for the Pilot timing map: more positive value the more advanced the timing- BTDC while a negative value occurs ATDC.

While for the Post injection maps - a more positive value seems to retard the timing further after TDC.

Can someone confirm this?

Thanks

Banned
    Highly curious as to why you need to look into the calibration file for tables that are openly provided by HPT. Unless I am misunderstanding and you are referring to the tables openly provided by HPT. But yes main soi, + is BTDC and - is ATDC. Pilot the way it is set up in the ecm is degrees before main soi. Post is degrees after end of main event.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim P View Post
    Highly curious as to why you need to look into the calibration file for tables that are openly provided by HPT. Unless I am misunderstanding and you are referring to the tables openly provided by HPT. But yes main soi, + is BTDC and - is ATDC. Pilot the way it is set up in the ecm is degrees before main soi. Post is degrees after end of main event.
    Thank you.

I think there's a misunderstanding of semantics:

I am an automotive OEM engineer whos been involved in factory tuning of diesel and petrol engines and vehicles. In the OEM industry - all of the tuning to get through emissions is called 'calibration'. Just as the individual maps- ie the Main SOI map etc are referred to as calibration maps. This is how I've been taught in OEM circles.

When I look for engineers who are capable of tuning the vehicles driveablity and also getting them through emissions, I look for 'calibration engineers' or sometimes 'applications engineers'- but this term is rarer.

Banned
    Yea probably a misunderstanding. When I hear wording like ?digging into calibration? and ?peering into maps? what comes into my mind is dissecting flash files