Thread: EIO no OBDII power?

Tuner in Training

EIO no OBDII power?

I'm out testing and recording using the EIO only. No notebook attached.

I stop the car, go in a store, and start the car again.

EIO is not lighting up.

I checked all the connections, reconnected, restarted etc.
    Both cig fuses are good.

If I hook up my EIO to my notebook, it lights up and downloads scans just fine.

If I try to scan with my notebook, through the EIO, I get the error, "No power detected from vehicle".

Is there a particular fuse for the OBDII port? Or is this something in the EIO? Or something else?

If it's a fuse, I checked the factory manuals, I don't know which one gives power to the OBDII port.

Can anyone help? I am tracking tomorrow and WAS going to record the races.

Thanks
    Last edited by TTZ06; 09-02-2006 at 12:23 AM.
    850HP MTI STS Forged 402 Twin Turbo Z06

Cig lighter fuse is the *usual* culprit...
    If not, check to make sure that Pin 16 of the OBDII connector has battery power (orange wire). If so it could be a grounding issue (Pins 4 or 5).

EC
    Always Support Our Troops!

Tuner in Training
    Is there another inline fuse on the obdii power wire, or is the fuse box fuse it?

I'm gonna get 3 hours sleep as it is, before tracking all day. I'm bummed. Can't believe it dies the night before. I pulled both cig fuses, one for dash and one in center console in vettes. Both are good. Checked power in both with cig adapter for notebook, all good.

I'll check the pins at the track tmrw. Does this eio ever die like that? Is there a fuse inside it or a reset button?

Fuse question is a good one for Ken. I don't *think* so but I could be wrong as I haven't opened up my MPVI to poke around.

Tuner in Training
    An ohm meter and checking every fuse again revealed fuse 29 in the passenger floorboard box is responsible for the OBDII power. In a 2003 Z06 Vette. If anyone ever needs to know.

Got HPT back up and running.

Excellent!

Too bad the owners manual isn't a little more specific though. It would have saved you a lot of time.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by EC_Tune
    Excellent!

Too bad the owners manual isn't a little more specific though. It would have saved you a lot of time.
    It sure woulda. I got tricked the first time I found the other cig fuse out so I replaced it. Took round two before I realized it was a coincidence and both fuses were out.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by TTZ06
    An ohm meter and checking every fuse again revealed fuse 29 in the passenger floorboard box is responsible for the OBDII power. In a 2003 Z06 Vette. If anyone ever needs to know.

Got HPT back up and running.
    2003 Z06 here, too. Thanks for finding that fuse, as I have been searching for a couple of hours for the culprit, using the old school method of tracing the wire back to the source. Time to go do my first download and see what I've got in this thing!

Quote Originally Posted by r40734
    2003 Z06 here, too. Thanks for finding that fuse, as I have been searching for a couple of hours for the culprit, using the old school method of tracing the wire back to the source. Time to go do my first download and see what I've got in this thing!
    dude...I could have manually pulled every single fuse and did the visual check in under 5 minutes..LOL

under 15 minutes if I wanted to temporarily replace every fuse with a higher rated one till I found the culprit.....LOL
    -Scott -

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by soundengineer
    dude...I could have manually pulled every single fuse and did the visual check in under 5 minutes..LOL

under 15 minutes if I wanted to temporarily replace every fuse with a higher rated one till I found the culprit.....LOL
    Broken fingers on my right hand makes pulling those damn little things difficult. I pulled the ones I thought were obvious, then moved on to the schematic in the manual and was trying to trace the power wire. This was the first time I have ever tried using HP Tuners, so my initial thought was that I was doing something wrong when connecting it. Now I know.

But, yes you're right... I was being a dufus

Quote Originally Posted by r40734
    Broken fingers on my right hand makes pulling those damn little things difficult. I pulled the ones I thought were obvious, then moved on to the schematic in the manual and was trying to trace the power wire. This was the first time I have ever tried using HP Tuners, so my initial thought was that I was doing something wrong when connecting it. Now I know.

But, yes you're right... I was being a dufus
    eh...I always go to the needle nose pliers when pulling fuses....LOL
    -Scott -