Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can timing

Quote Originally Posted by Hemituna View Post
    Ok, LSA is 115 with +3 adv ground into the cam.
    So with 7 (14) deg limiter, max advance puts you at 112ICL
    Max retard will be 126ICL , so as you said the mid point is 119 which is probably as far as you ever want to retard this cam.
    Now we know where the cam is, it is a matter of putting it where we want it.
    Assuming it is a 6.4, I'd start by trying 134 - 132 (0-2degs retard) in the exhaust CL table at low rpm and retard it to 129 - 128 (5-6degs retard) up top.
    Do both PT and WOT cam tables or it will be a dog at P/T.

My 222/230 112.5 likes to run with full advance. I do back it down some slightly after peak torque.

Anyone see any issues here? I adjust the intake as well, as the factory does so and I assume it affects airflow calculations.

I also leave the intake and exhaust lockpin setting at 120*
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by kenandjenn4551; 04-08-2019 at 12:23 AM.

Tuner in Training

Cam help needed

OK, The Hemi VVT's work backwards from full advance.
    Full advance is the default/idle position and they retard from there.
    So the stock phaser can retard 14 cam degrees (28 crank degrees) and if you fit a 7deg limiter, it then limits retard to 7 cam degrees(14 crank degrees).
    Now with the stock cam we know the start position of the cam as the cam is ground with 14 degs advance and has a LSA (6.4L) of 120.5.
    So at full advance it has an ICL of 106.5 and exhaust 134.5

Now with an aftermarket cam the LSA and cam advance are most likely now different.
    I cant remember the 270 off the top of my head but do know the 274 which is probably similiar.
    It has LSA of 116 and is ground with +3 Adv.
    So installed and at full advance this cam will have an ICL of 113....but the PCM will still use the numbers 134.5 ex and 106.5 int as it doesnt know the cam has changed.

This cam will like to be run somewhere from 113ish to 119ish ICL so we will have to tell the PCM to keep it nearly fully advanced and retard up to max of maybe 6 degs.
    So the exhaust cam table numbers( as these are the numbers that actually control the cam not the intake numbers) will run from 134 (full adv) to 128 (6 degs retard) approx.
    This would make the intake go from 113 CL to 119 CL Actual.
    The exhaust numbers would be 119 to 113 CL Actual.

So you can see that when swapping cams the numbers can get a little complicated.
    Hope I have explained it clearly...if not, ask away..

Hi,

Also keen to get a bit more insight in what I need to do for my cam setup as far as the HPtuner tables...
    I also have a custom grind comp-cam with limiter in my 392

Attached what I see right now in my config + a few more pics on cam data. Can anyone of you help a rookie out?

MinMax.pngTables.pngCompCam 1.jpgCompCam 2.jpg
    2013 Jeep JKU8 392 ECU (MJ) + TCM (MJ) WIP7.hpt

Thanks,

Mouritz

Advanced Tuner
    Start with Ken&Jenns numbers' for WOT tables and make P/T same also.

Quote Originally Posted by JWM_Jankowitz View Post
    Hi,

Also keen to get a bit more insight in what I need to do for my cam setup as far as the HPtuner tables...
    I also have a custom grind comp-cam with limiter in my 392

Attached what I see right now in my config + a few more pics on cam data. Can anyone of you help a rookie out?

MinMax.pngTables.pngCompCam 1.jpgCompCam 2.jpg
    2013 Jeep JKU8 392 ECU (MJ) + TCM (MJ) WIP7.hpt

Thanks,

Mouritz

Tuner in Training

Cam help needed

Hi Hemituna,

My numbers is already fairly close to K&Js, but I wanted to know if there is anything substantial that I might be missing in my tune.
    As always appreciate any kind of advice I can get from you. Things that is obviously wrong or questionable.

If you have 5 mins, can you have a quick look at the above work in progress (WIP) tune file.

Best regards,
    Mouritz Jankowitz

Tuner in Training
    OK, The Hemi VVT's work backwards from full advance.
    Full advance is the default/idle position and they retard from there.
    So the stock phaser can retard 14 cam degrees (28 crank degrees) and if you fit a 7deg limiter, it then limits retard to 7 cam degrees(14 crank degrees).
    Now with the stock cam we know the start position of the cam as the cam is ground with 14 degs advance and has a LSA (6.4L) of 120.5.
    So at full advance it has an ICL of 106.5 and exhaust 134.5

Now with an aftermarket cam the LSA and cam advance are most likely now different.
    I cant remember the 270 off the top of my head but do know the 274 which is probably similiar.
    It has LSA of 116 and is ground with +3 Adv.
    So installed and at full advance this cam will have an ICL of 113....but the PCM will still use the numbers 134.5 ex and 106.5 int as it doesnt know the cam has changed.

This cam will like to be run somewhere from 113ish to 119ish ICL so we will have to tell the PCM to keep it nearly fully advanced and retard up to max of maybe 6 degs.
    So the exhaust cam table numbers( as these are the numbers that actually control the cam not the intake numbers) will run from 134 (full adv) to 128 (6 degs retard) approx.
    This would make the intake go from 113 CL to 119 CL Actual.
    The exhaust numbers would be 119 to 113 CL Actual.

So you can see that when swapping cams the numbers can get a little complicated.
    Hope I have explained it clearly...if not, ask away..
    Hi,

I have applied the same approach to my 2012 Dodge RAM 1500 with a 5.7 Hemi. The truck runs great until I hit around 70 mph and then it feels as if it is stuttering. At 1st I thought it was torque control kicking-in, but as far as I recall I have most of that disabled. Can anyone give me more hints? Tune attached... 2012 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie 5.7 ECU (MJ) + TCM (MJ) WIP3.hpt

Thanks Mouritz

Tuner in Training
    Hi, as far as matching WOT & PT cam tables... Do I match the WOT table deg from 512 rpm through 6464 with the same rpm range in PT (I assume Normal Desired Angle) table?

There seems to happen a lot between the 512 through 3648 rpm range in the normal desired angle table.

Also how does one account for a different LSA or advance on the cam grind.

I'm so confused with all of of this and have a ton of questions...

Attached a calculator with everything I'm trying to figure out here...

JEEP Variable Cam CGrind.xlsx

2013 Jeep JK Sahara 6.4 ECU (MJ) + TCM (MJ) WIP7.hpt

Any help / clarity will be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Mouritz