Thread: 4L60E to 6L80E swap

Potential Tuner

4L60E to 6L80E swap

I have a 2003 4.8 LS with a 4L60E trans. I want to swap in a newer 6L80E. Has anyone ever reprogramed the existing ECM to control the 6L80 trans? Or would I be better to find a new 5.3 with a 6L80E complete. This is in my 2003 S10 Blazer 4 door with a 2" Rough Country lift kit. Also I am considering purchasing software for my laptop to do future programming myself. Can anyone recommend a decent Program that isn't prohibitively expensive?
    Last edited by BlazerLSSwap; 03-30-2019 at 10:14 AM.

It's not possible to make an older controller work a newer transmission.

At a minimum you need/want a E38 computer so it can control the engine and transmission together. Like you said, it means you need/want to find a 2009+ 5.3/6L80e combo with computer or find all the parts by themselves.

Or you would have to see if someone makes a stand alone trans controller for that transmission.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    Thanks. That was what I had expected. Any thoughts on programming software?

Well this is a HP Tuners site, so I'd suggest them if you want to learn how to tune factory computers.

Their price is not bad to get you into the game and cost per vehicle on older models is only $100 per vehicle. Newer vehicles tend to run more because they are far more complex.

Or you can go with a different vendor or go complete stand alone controller.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.