Thread: MVPI2 Bricked PCM and almost bricked another

MVPI2 Bricked PCM and almost bricked another

Ok i want to know if anyone else is having this issue. I love this tuner but i have had this less than 24 hours now and i was able to tune my vette great. Then i went to read the file again to get a good snap shot of the car, and BAM started weirding out and throwing lights and saying check suspension, check abs, reduced engine speeed. SAME thing it did before right before it bricked it. I also have efilive v2 flash scan and have had zero issues with this. I want some resolution on this. I now have $100 worth of credits down the drain, a tuner that is bricking my PCM's and im just scared to even keep trying to use this. Do i just need to reach out to the company and get my money back. I also out a pcm worth about 250. So all in all not very happy with this so far. Can someone please shed some light on this?

email support. Goodluck

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    reading an ecm is a non volatile act, ie it cannot brick a pcm.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

i can assure you that this did cause my car to not start by simply reading the tune. It failed at 75% and just cranked. No fuel pump prime, no spark etc. after pulling the battery and getting it reset it fired up. Did NOT get that lucky the first time. SOOO there clearly is a problem with this device bricking pcms but what are the techs doing at HP tuners to resolve this? Im out 350 bucks now on a pcm and 2 credits, and now i have to get another 2 credits to use this to tune my car again. Making it very hard to move from EFI live.

Battery voltage going down or a laptop error can fail a read but can't brick a computer. Never had that issue on any car when reading a file.

Writing a file, which erases data and then writes it could brick it, if something failed.

Probably should email support directly when things like this happen, they'd help you troubleshoot the issue with information you supply them.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

car battery level is 13 v with a battery charger always on while flashing. I also have tried my macbook running windows 10 and my dell laptop running windows 10 both with zero issues with the communication ports. i know you are saying it not possible i can assure it is. i just tired it again and it did it again at 75 % and i checked the dtc and got p0601. hooked up the efilive and read it fine and was able to push a tune just fine without the warnings and flashes. Hooked up the hp tuners and scanned the dtc got no errors. logged some data and it was fine. Went back to the editor and when i read the file it failed again.

The bircked Pcm i can read and write to still just get the p0601 that wont go away.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    open a support ticket here https://support.hptuners.com/index.php?/Tickets/Submit and we'll be happy to take a closer look at your issue.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

i already did

Tuner in Training
    Check this post I shared on facebook one month ago.
    """ 12 March at 01:01 ?
    Codes a lot of them...
    Lesson learned never clear code new Fords maybe more vehicles, guy straight piped it. I thought it was the issue.
    When I tried to check what was the cause of the check engine it was intake air temp open circuit, I fixed that and done a clear code, engine light went off for 10 minutes, but suddenly the ECU realized that the car is missing catalytic converter, car acted crazy and started throwing random dash error and codes, now the guy thinks it was my mistake, all I did was waking the ECU up. Just sharing my experience with you.""""

Basically what I wanted to say reading with out writing potential in some cases is no good
    and if you are using an old laptop with a dirty USB ports try not to move while reading and writing. no offence I hope you solved the problem

That is not a "bricked" PCM.

Real "bricked" PCMs wouldn't start working after pulling the battery.

As was stated before, a read cannot brick a PCM.
    2013 Mustang GT - Twin Turbo
    2016 Mustang GT
    2011 Suburban Z71 - Tow Machine

Potential Tuner
    For all the people out there in the hp tuners community. I have the fix for this problem. I dunno wat the hell is goinon with thia newer MPVI2 THATS LOCKING PCMS FROM COMMUNICATING TO THE SOFTWARE, BUT I HAVE THE SOLUTION!! Go to you tube and search "FIX BRICKED P59 PCM...". THAT EXACT VIDEO TITLED EXACTLT WHAT I JUST WROTE IS THE ONLY WAY TO UNLOCK THE PCM OUT OF DEATH MODE.