Thread: Dakota Digital interferance

Potential Tuner

Dakota Digital interferance

I know that I need to contact Dakota Digital for this, and I will tomorrow when they're open. I'm just wondering if anyone else has had interference issues with using their products. Allow me to explain further. I'm running a stock 2004 LQ4 6.0L with a 4L80 transmission as a swap into a 1980 Camaro. I'm using the stock PCM which has it's initial flash from Brenden @ LSI swap. (I just bought the HPVI2 so now I can do this) I bought the HDX series gauges from Dakota Digital. I'm using their BIM-01-2 interface module to run the tach, the engine temperature and the speedometer via the OBD2 connector. (So I cannot connect the VCM scanner while having the BIM-01-2 connected for the gauges. The engine oil pressure isn't supported on the CAN so I had to wire that gauge separate. I'm also using the Rostra cruise control by using the VSS signal off of the PCM. My problems are definitely only occurring when the Dakota Digital BIM-01-2 is plugged into the OBD2 port. I'm getting a "surge of RPM's" that will just randomly happen, sometimes while sitting in park but most of the time while driving. While driving the surge of power or RPM's is enough to cause the transmission to kick down. These power surges are about 3 seconds apart and usually 3 times each episode. The transmission will down-shift each time. When I unplug the BIM-01-02 connector from the OBD2 port these power surges will completely stop and all is well. Again, since I cannot connect the VCM scanner while the OBD2 port is occupied I can't get a scan to send. I have double and triple checked all of my grounds to each of the above components. If anyone has any input I'd love to hear what you have. I neglected to mention that no fault codes are ever logged in the PCM when the "hunting" episodes happen. Thanks.

Hello,

I have the Dakota Digital HDX gauges in my 70 El Camino running a 5.3 L truck motor and 4L60E transmission both out of a 1999 GMC Sierra. No interference problems at all. Why do you need the BIM module when those tach, temperature and speedo signals should be available out of the PCM for feeding straight into the HDX control box?

If the interference continues, you might consider the use of a few Type 43 or maybe Type 75 split toroids to eliminate it - these are completely passive. But let's see what DD Tech Support says first.

Rick

Potential Tuner
    Thanks Rick. I was trying to reduce the amount of extra wiring needed inside the cab to run all of the gauges. Also, other parameters are available over the CAN such as transmission temperature, manifold pressure etc.

Potential Tuner
    I received some tech support from Dakota Digital this morning. It seems that the BIM-01-2 has a button on it. Tech support told me exactly what to change on the settings. Just a shout-out for them. Excellent products and great tech support!

Quote Originally Posted by loosegravel View Post
    I received some tech support from Dakota Digital this morning. It seems that the BIM-01-2 has a button on it. Tech support told me exactly what to change on the settings. Just a shout-out for them. Excellent products and great tech support!
    Dakota Digital very sensitive to any interference ....any and all trigger wires need to be as far apart as you can get them ,,and even wrapped in a non magnetic wiring sleeve ,I chased gremlins like this several times till we figured things out ,,good luck

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by loosegravel View Post
    @loosegravel, I'm having exactly the same issue. My BIM module does not play nice with HPTuners. What did you have to change?