Thread: Noob's tune Knocking and going lean on down shift

Tuner in Training

Question Newb ZL1 Tune

I've done a few changes here and there in the tune, car (2013 ZL1) seems to idle and cruise fine and WOT seems to be decent and the car feels strong, the only issue is that it just knocks when i down shift and then goes back to normal, i feel allot of shuddering for a second before it goes back to normal. unfortunately i do not have my AFR hooked up to the pro link but AFR is at around 11.7-12.2 at WOT and idles at 14.7 average as well as cruising. what am i doing wrong? i'm new to HPT and this is my very first go at tuning, so im not asking for a free tune i just need some guidance.
    i have modified my tune since the log provided with the same issue present.

Mods:
    -CIA
    -Catless 2" Headers
    -Stock Ported TB
    -Ported snout and blower
    -2.55 upper pulley
    -DW 90lb Injectors (I have put the data provided)

Down shift is at 22 seconds and another at 28.
    Last edited by Moe Ashraf; 04-04-2019 at 04:21 AM.

Tuner in Training
    Bump, anyone?

The knock is in a narrow range. If you don't have the wideband hooked up, you cannot tell if the cell is lean or not. 12 is too high for a blower motor and your timing at wot is pretty high also---even for 93 octane. Letting off the gas quickly shows as a lean condition, so it may be burst knock. Are you logging that?
    When you say downshift, are you a manual transmission? If so, go back and enable spark smoothing.
    2000 Camaro SS 2015 L83 port injected, Whipple 3.0, 4L80E, 8.8 Ford
    2013 Silverado 5.3, 6L80k 8.8

You should be logging cylinder airmass and dynamic air also. Is this a DI Engine?
    2000 Camaro SS 2015 L83 port injected, Whipple 3.0, 4L80E, 8.8 Ford
    2013 Silverado 5.3, 6L80k 8.8

Quote Originally Posted by Moe Ashraf View Post
    I've done a few changes here and there in the tune, car (2013 ZL1) seems to idle and cruise fine and WOT seems to be decent and the car feels strong, the only issue is that it just knocks when i down shift and then goes back to normal, i feel allot of shuddering for a second before it goes back to normal. unfortunately i do not have my AFR hooked up to the pro link but AFR is at around 11.7-12.2 at WOT and idles at 14.7 average as well as cruising. what am i doing wrong? i'm new to HPT and this is my very first go at tuning, so im not asking for a free tune i just need some guidance.
    i have modified my tune since the log provided with the same issue present.

Mods:
    -CIA
    -Catless 2" Headers
    -Stock Ported TB
    -Ported snout and blower
    -2.55 upper pulley
    -DW 90lb Injectors (I have put the data provided)

Down shift is at 22 seconds and another at 28.
    You need to get a WB on there ASAP. Looks like it's lean the LTFT's are adding fuel to your WOT and your spark is high for 93 pump gas and 12 psi. Also you are commanding .80 at WOT in the tune (showing .79 in log probably because the LTFT's is adding fuel) so your AFR with 10% ethanol gas is really 11.3 not 11.7-12.2. 11.7-12.2 is WAY too lean for a LSA 11.1-11.3 is where most run them. Need to log MAF in hz also along with a few more PIDs.
    Last edited by asteggall; 04-04-2019 at 10:18 AM.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Lakegoat View Post
    The knock is in a narrow range. If you don't have the wideband hooked up, you cannot tell if the cell is lean or not. 12 is too high for a blower motor and your timing at wot is pretty high also---even for 93 octane. Letting off the gas quickly shows as a lean condition, so it may be burst knock. Are you logging that?
    When you say downshift, are you a manual transmission? If so, go back and enable spark smoothing.
    thank you so much for replying,
    and i'm sorry i should've mentioned that i live in the UAE so we have 98 octane pump gas so i'm guessing that's why timing is high? as i haven't touched the tables yet.
    i'll add some pids soon enough, do you recommend any specific layout?
    and this is a LSA so its port injection.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by asteggall View Post
    You need to get a WB on there ASAP. Looks like it's lean the LTFT's are adding fuel to your WOT and your spark is high for 93 pump gas and 12 psi. Also you are commanding .80 at WOT in the tune (showing .79 in log probably because the LTFT's is adding fuel) so your AFR with 10% ethanol gas is really 11.3 not 11.7-12.2. 11.7-12.2 is WAY too lean for a LSA 11.1-11.3 is where most run them. Need to log MAF in hz also along with a few more PIDs.
    thanks for replying, and yeah i'm hooking it up to my pro link soon enough, 98 pump gas where i'm from and my actual AFR reads 10.9-11.2 so i guess i'm good there
    i've added a few pids now so i will post an updated log

Senior Tuner SultanHassanMasTuning's Avatar
    you have an issue with your fuel pump

your not logging enough channels for E67 pcm

your ignition is a bit high

13 ZL1 test.hpt
    Follow @MASTUNING visit www.mastuned.com
    Remote Tuning [email protected]
    Contact/Whatsapp +966555366161

Quote Originally Posted by SultanHassanMasTuning View Post

13 ZL1 test.hpt
    Defiantly right. I didn't even notice his fuel pressure was falling to 45 psi under WOT. He needs to look into that for sure.

Advanced Tuner
    your injector data cant be right. you've maxed out the IFR table in the last 10 cells.

having a maxed IFR table makes the entire airflow model not function properly. you're using a blended tune also meaning the airflow model isn't working correctly but it's trying to do use MAP/Dynamic/MAF references to airmass and transition between the 3.

disable and zero out burst knock

disable and max out fast torque exit.

then set up a quality config with torque management sources and individual spark correction channels and go logging with a wideband fitted. then you'll paint a clearer picture of what's going on

When would he ever be running 70+ psi of fuel pressure?

Being maxed out there won't matter, never seen anyone have an issue.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post

It's not 70 psi rail pressure. It's 70 psi injector delta so the chances to see that on a 12 psi boost pump gas car is not going to happen even if his rail pressure was were it should be at 65 psi he would only be at a delta of 53 psi.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by SultanHassanMasTuning View Post

13 ZL1 test.hpt
    Thanks for the Help Sultan, i see you lowered timing and added a bit of protection here and there, about the fuel pump do you think i'm running out of Pump or there is a problem with my Pump? i have uploaded the tune to the car and went for a log with my Wide band logging now, and as you can see at 00:00:06 i start down shifting, and i'm still experiencing the same issues.
    Last edited by Moe Ashraf; 04-07-2019 at 02:11 AM.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by lukearmstrong1990 View Post
    your injector data cant be right. you've maxed out the IFR table in the last 10 cells.

having a maxed IFR table makes the entire airflow model not function properly. you're using a blended tune also meaning the airflow model isn't working correctly but it's trying to do use MAP/Dynamic/MAF references to airmass and transition between the 3.

disable and zero out burst knock

disable and max out fast torque exit.

then set up a quality config with torque management sources and individual spark correction channels and go logging with a wideband fitted. then you'll paint a clearer picture of what's going on
    you see the thing is the numbers provided exceed what i can input.
    i'll try what you've recommended and get back asap.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post

i am maxed out as the injector data provided is larger than what i can input into HPT, so do you think all the injector data is fine? as the car drives pretty well.

Thanks for the Help Sultan, i see you lowered timing and added a bit of protection here and there, about the fuel pump do you think i'm running out of Pump or there is a problem with my Pump? i have uploaded the tune to the car and went for a log with my Wide band logging now, and as you can see at 00:00:06 i start down shifting, and i'm still experiencing the same issues.
    With your mods you have enough pump there is something going on there. It is showing CL-fault and the way the fuel psi climbs to 75 psi after you get off the throttle. There is no KR logged it is logging burst knock.

i am maxed out as the injector data provided is larger than what i can input into HPT, so do you think all the injector data is fine? as the car drives pretty well.
    You will max out the table at 127. Looking at it again you are maxing it out at 82psi and you will never see that injector delta so it's not a issue. Basically take your fuel psi and subtract the boost psi and that's you injector delta. There is something going on with the pumps it's almost like one pump is not working.