Thread: New to tuning question about my data log 97 gran Prix l36 ssm90 kit

Tuner in Training

Lightbulb New to tuning question about my data log 97 gran Prix l36 ssm90 kit

New to tuning guys I know from the looks of it need to change my vw table but is my spark advance or timing advance correct I would think I would be getting more power and better fuel then what I am getting and to some it also seems like its idling a lil lower Then it should be not sure if will be able to post my logs from my email to phone to here but will try log four is my wot log have tunes at the end don’t think ve or afr is right in eaither one
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Rob0220; 04-06-2019 at 06:24 PM.

You're not scanning enough parameters.

You can add new channels on the left table. Add as many things as you like, if you like. Once you learn how to set up the histograms and charts you'll be able to scan a million things at the same time and let the histograms and charts and gauges filter the most important things.

For now at least add to the scanner Knock (KR / Ignition Retard), and Air-fuel ratio, and oxygen sensor, and injector pulse width.

Also if you post your tune we'll be able to see if something stands out that need immediate attention.

You can also look in the tune repository. In the main HP Tuners website (not the forum). Login if you haven't already, top right has your name, click on it, and on the left hand side you'll have some links, and tune repository will be one of them. Then you can look through many stock and modified tunes from all different cars and years. In the initial tune repository page you'll select filters to narrow down what you're looking for.

Tuner in Training
    Thank you I have a few more logs that I did and added stuff but I still am not seen any kr and will have to load my tune as well I went back to the one guy had on it when he sold me the car witch I know the VE Table it not right since I believe it only goes up to 80 kpa and at most times I can run about eight psi and spikes around ten

Tuner in Training

Tunes that I am lost with on my Grand Prix l36 super charger

Hey these are the two I was messing with at the moment u had to go back to the summer tune the guy had witch I do not think is even close to the cars full potential being the l36 super charged with cai down pipe front power log cleared cat u bend delete not sure witch throttle body but took the screen out also have logs in another post and has 3.8 pully and 2 bar map

It's been a decade since I tuned VE on a 3800 cable throttle

I used to disconnect the MAF and drive while scanning LTFT's (long term fuel trims). Tho I would reset the LTFT's at the beginning of the scan.
    Then I would adjust the VE according to the LTFT from the MAFless scans.

But I think that's very old school way of doing it.

Once you have the VE table sorted, you'll have to sort the acceleration fueling. Setting the AFR command to what should be proper and adjusting the MAF table to match the actual Air Fuel Ratio to that of the desired ARF commanded. Need a wideband O2 for that. With out a wideband you might be leaving lots of power on the table because most likely if you're not knocking at full throttle it means your AFR is rich but maybe too rich where power is decreased.

The MAF does most of the work, but uses the VE as a reference for whatever reason.

the VE on my 98 Regal was set to 80 in all boxes !. That's the way it came from the factory. Realistically the VE is mainly for when the MAF fails and when the Engine is cold.
    Last edited by ZeroBoostBuick; 04-06-2019 at 07:06 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Ok thanks I will try to scan with the maf unplugged and hoping at some point can try to get wideband maybe this summer

Tuner in Training
    And also I thought 80 kpa in ve is no where near any boost

Yeah, a stock N/A 3800 will get up to 98 kpa

Looks to me since you have no KR and your running rich you gotta work on that a little.

The Power enrich tables.

Set the Power Enrich Base AFT to 11.0 and Zero out the whole Add vs RPM table.

Right now according to those table you're commanding around 10.6:to1 AFR at full throttle. That's a bit too rich.

Just looked over your transmission tables and some of the are butchered. Like the General shift pressure it's set to 0 !?!?

If you want good trans settings I suggest copying from the following tune I'm gonna post. The tune is from a N/A 3800 car so don't copy anything else except the transmission settings !!! ALL trans settings copy and paste. Your car will work so much better, smoother and more intuitive predictable shifts. No harsh shifts either.

Spend the next several months searching the web and even utube. 3800pro forum is good too same as regalgs forum. Most of what I know I about 3800 HPtuners tuning I learned in 2007-2008 on Regalgs forum. But haven't been on there since 2009 cause I got into race bikes for several years and cars took a back seat. Now I'm way behind on current car tuning knowledge !

The tune repository is a GOLD MINE. Can't recommend going through it enough.

Tuner in Training
    The next question I have it for copy the trans settjng what trans is that bin for I belabor mine is the 4t60 and not the 65

Tuner in Training
    The next question I have it for copy the trans settjng what trans is that bin for I believe mine is the 4t60 and not the 65

Both tranny's are practically identical for the most part.... The 4T60 has vacuum line going to it. Vacuum line & vacuum modulator should be visible.

Tuner in Training
    Yeah I think it does I think when I bought it the guy said he put on some kind of performance module for the trans