Thread: Valve and Ignition Timing for intake valve deposits?

Valve and Ignition Timing for intake valve deposits?

I read a recent article talking about various ways intake valves form deposits, specifically on GTDI engines, and they claimed the main reason is the intake valves are exposed to the combustion byproducts in the combustion chamber longer than necessary and not having fuel wash it off (like on a port injected engine). This is opposed to the "common" belief of PCV systems not catching the fumes, aggressive valve overlap, etc...

So regardless of the actual reason, what adjustments would I make to reduce the amount of time intake valves are exposed to the combustion byproducts? Would it be advanced ignition timing, with retarded inlet valve opening? What's the best approach with adjusting the VCT?

There nothing you can do tuning-wise. I had V10 5,2FSI for a good amount of time and it was collecting carbon like crazy, I mean 20k miles and intake valves were black like hell.

Port injection cars don't have this problem as everything gets washed with gasoline. Direct injection engines suffers form this a lot - every DI engine will face this problem sooner or later.

Thx god Ford went with both in 2018, you can actually blend them as much you want. You can use 99% of DI or 99% of PI.

Ford went with the blended setup only on the F-series trucks and Mustang 5.0, The cars/SUVs and Ranger still have the Ecoboost engines with pure DI. Not sure if they plan to add both for the 2020 Explorer's 3.0

The carbon might be worth it on that 5.2 V10, it sure sounds nice.
    Last edited by metroplex; 04-03-2019 at 08:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by metroplex View Post
    The carbon might be worth it on that 5.2 V10, it sure sounds nice.
    That engines sound is just out of this world. That was the only nice thing about it. 2 tons, not so fast and poor tuning possibilities.
    Spare parts cost a kidney, MPG just terrible, resell value poor to dramatic. It was cool to have it but I never looked back.

Advanced Tuner
    The ecoboost engines use reversion through valve timing to push fuel back onto the valves and keep them clean.

Tuner in Training
    would be adding a port injection fuel rail be a option for you? I've done it on the Focus RS platforms due to running E85 they need the flow but also helps clean the valves up and keeps them cooler

Is there an easy way to do it like a manual meth injection thru the TB adaptet

Tuner in Training
    you can do that. ive seen a kit like a TB spacer fitted with a injector. but youll have to buy an additional controller to control the fuel injection through that. but comes with the software. which engine are you specifically talking about? the ones ive done are a 4 port like a intake manifold spacer with 4 injectors fitted into it.

The methanol injection kit on my Sho has steam cleaned the whole intake system on it. It looks like the engine was just assembled yesterday.

What are the easiest to install meth kits?

I only have experience with snow performace and I would not recommend them. Ease of installation is about the same as any other kit as I would imagine, but the fittings for the tubing all leak on my kit. They are oddball o-rings and I have had to double up o-rings on two separate fittings on my kit.