Thread: Unhandled Exception Error....still fighting....STUCK!!

Exclamation Unhandled Exception Error....still fighting....STUCK!!

Hey all,
    Okay, so been fighting this Unhandled exception error for more than a week (actually longer...). Downloaded and installed the beta version (as advised by tech support) and tried it again. Nope, did not fix it. Installed HPTuners on a borrowed machine, synced the interface dongle, tried to read the ECU. NOPE! Same unhandled exception error. This is really frustrating. I have 4 support tickets now.
    I'm now thinking the problem is with the interface device, not the computer. It's the only thing in common and about the only thing left..

Someone please help! Can't even put back the stock tune now!

VCMScanner works fine. Jeep runs and drives (not very good...tune not even close yet) and my scan tool reads the ECU just fine.

Getting desperate here!!

IMG_4846(4).jpg
    Last edited by clshortt1; 04-05-2019 at 08:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by clshortt1 View Post
    Hey all,
    Okay, so been fighting this Unhandled exception error for more than a week (actually longer...). Downloaded and installed the beta version (as advised by tech support) and tried it again. Nope, did not fix it. Installed HPTuners on a borrowed machine, synced the interface dongle, tried to read the ECU. NOPE! Same unhandled exception error. This is really frustrating. I have 4 support tickets now.
    I'm now thinking the problem is with the interface device, not the computer. It's the only thing in common and about the only thing left..

Someone please help! Can't even put back the stock tune now!

VCMScanner works fine. Jeep runs and drives (not very good...tune not even close yet) and my scan tool reads the ECU just fine.

Getting desperate here!!

IMG_4846(4).jpg
    1. Uninstall all versions of VCM Editor.
    2. Install the official (non beta) Version and run VCM Editor. You should not get the error.
    3. Reinstall the beta and it too should now run without the error.
    4. Report back.

Thanks tune2mbt,
    Thanks for the reply. I have done this two or three times now. The first time I did it, it worked. Now it will not. I even installed the non-beta version on a completely different laptop and tried it. One that had never had the software on it before, any version. I got the same error with this second laptop. Thats why I'm thinking it's something with the actual interface device. I thought of something this morning I'm going to try. Im going to turn off my virus protection and see if that makes a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by tune2mbt View Post
    1. Uninstall all versions of VCM Editor.
    2. Install the official (non beta) Version and run VCM Editor. You should not get the error.
    3. Reinstall the beta and it too should now run without the error.
    4. Report back.
    This fixed my issue! Got a new laptop today and tried installing beta only.. getting the error. Thanks!

Tuner in Training
    Thanks tune2mbt,
    Thanks for the reply. I have done this two or three times now. The first time I did it, it worked. Now it will not. I even installed the non-beta version on a completely different laptop and tried it. One that had never had the software on it before, any version. I got the same error with this second laptop. Thats why I'm thinking it's something with the actual interface device. I thought of something this morning I'm going to try. Im going to turn off my virus protection and see if that makes a difference.
    When this happened for me, I had to re_read the calibration from the ECU after reinstalling the VCM Editor (either full or beta). In my case, there's been a couple beta's when I was working on 2018/19 mustangs that introduced some out of range values in some tables... Support staff has always been surprisingly quick resolving any issues I've reached out to them for.

b3tuning,
    Thanks for the info. Started another ticket with the latest information. I actually had to send the interface back to HPtuners for them to test. Hopefully they will find something and get it back to me quickly.

Okay, wanted to post an update on my issue.
    I sent mt MPVI2 back to HPTuners. They looked at and tested it. As soon as they plugged it in, it did an update to the firmware. They tested it on a bunch of ECM's and it did just fine. They sent it back to me. I tried it and it worked, one time. At that point I knew it was something on my end. I shut everything down and restarted the computer. Brought up HP Tuners again. Plugged in the MPVI2 and it would read and write just fine. I got to thinking, I plugged the USB connector for the MPVI2 into the computer BEFORE connecting it to the OBDII port.
    I unplugged the the MPVI2 from the usb port and from the vehicle. I then plugged the MPVI2 into the OBDII port and then the UUSB cable into the computer. Would not read!! Exception error! I unplugged everything, plugged in the USB to the computer, THEN plugged the MPVI2 into the OBD2 port. BAM!! Reads and writes fine!!
    SO if you are having problems with this issue. Plug your USB into your computer BEFORE plugging the MVPI2 into the OBD2 port and see if that fixes it. It did for me! I used it several more time without issue following this.

Thanks for the update. Did you report this finding to HPT?

Yes. I actually spoke with them on the phone about it. I have had so much trouble that they were ready to do a live session with me to fix the issue. Chad actually called me on the phone to discuss it and to see if I was ready to conduct the live session. I explained to him what I found and how I figured it out and he was just like..."Hmmm...haven't seen that before...are you sure?" I told him that I tried it three or four times and every time the order had to be correct or it would error out on me. He thanked me for the information and they were going to look into it and he would be back in touch with me.

Potential Tuner
    I have this error at the end of the download of a tune right after you save it. Have tried everything suggested above shutting down computer plugging USB first, MVPI into OBDII first, Ignition on or off before plugging MVPI to car.
    Logged with VCM support as Im in Australia and that is our support for HPT.
    Placed a new thread on here just before I found this one.
    Im one week on this issue since purchasing and am just about done with it.
    Interesting that my MVPI2 was manufactured Feb 2019 so as clshort had the firmware update when MVPI2 was back with HPT would mine need that update????
    I cant even open the sample tunes in Editor so Editor is useless at the moment.

As above Scanner work fine!!!!

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Enigma Mech View Post
    I have this error at the end of the download of a tune right after you save it. Have tried everything suggested above shutting down computer plugging USB first, MVPI into OBDII first, Ignition on or off before plugging MVPI to car.
    Logged with VCM support as Im in Australia and that is our support for HPT.
    Placed a new thread on here just before I found this one.
    Im one week on this issue since purchasing and am just about done with it.
    Interesting that my MVPI2 was manufactured Feb 2019 so as clshort had the firmware update when MVPI2 was back with HPT would mine need that update????
    I cant even open the sample tunes in Editor so Editor is useless at the moment.

As above Scanner work fine!!!!

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Enigma,
    Have you downloaded the Beta version and tried that? If not, I would try that. Be SURE you plug the usb into the com device, then the computer, then the com device into the car. The key should be OFF. Once everything is connected, then turn the key to run. Watch your lights on the com device. You should see the power light one as soon as you play the usb into the computer. You should see the communication light start flashing when the key comes on.
    Have you downloaded and backed up your stock tune? If not do that immediately! Then play with it.
    Post what you find back here and I?ll see if I can help.
    I?ll be in a car show tomorrow most of the day but I have my notifications on so I?ll check regularly for your results.

Potential Tuner
    Thanks for the reply clshort1 had already done as you have suggested but as I approach 20 attemps at downloading a tune why not go for another.
    Same result as per screenshot attached.
    When during the read did you get the Unhandled Error? as Im getting at the very end of the download as soon as i type in a name to save it as and hit enter our favourite Unhandled Error pops up.
    As for downloading the stock tune this is what Ive been trying to do for a week now
    Attached Images Attached Images

Okay, have you tried the beta version of the software?

Potential Tuner
    Okay, have you tried the beta version of the software?
    Yeah I have, looking at it for a few more hours it looks like the editor has a conflict with windows or pc operating system as not only can I not flash/read a tune from a vehicle but also cannot even open a sample tune that comes with the software. I have even tried to open a tune from the HP Tuners repository.
    Just cannot get the editor to open a tune file from any source???????

When it does work and you get to read a vehicle tune, does it open the tune in Editor once it has read or does it prompt you to save it first?

Thanks again for your input will contact support tomorrow and update them with your experience.

No, it does not open the tune you downloaded automatically, and yes, it prompts you to save it. Save it with a name that tells you this is your "stock" tune. I went one step further and locked that file with read-only settings so I don't accidentally save over it. You have to close the connection with the vehicle, then open the tune. Also, do not open the VCM Scanner at the same time you have the VCM Editor open. Conflicts happen, this was part of my problem. Make sure the folder you are saving the tune in has the proper permission selected to allow the editor to write/edit/read to it.

Did you uninstall the non-beta version before installing the beta version? If not, you must uninstall it BEFORE installing the beta version. Uninstall the non beta version, shut down and restart you computer, then install the beta version. Try that and see it that he
    I feel you pain! HP Tuners is SO SLOW to respond! It took me WEEKS to get mine working.

Potential Tuner
    CLShort1 still no luck even with your latest suggestions. VCM Support have requested I need to visit them to sort out which is good support, so I need to find time and not try to keep digging into the bowels of Microsoft Windows settings for answers.
    I will update after my visit to the VCM workshop!!!
    Thanks again for your input as each suggestion has been very logical to work and demonstrates the hours you must have spent on this to understand and also gives me hope it can be sorted.

Enigma, sorry to hear that. Good luck with it. I hope they can help you. Be sure and post back here what you (or they) ended up doing to fix it and get you going. May help someone else in your situation.