Thread: Chipping away at tuning 2016 Z06...i'm in need of some tribal knowledge

Tuner in Training

Chipping away at tuning 2016 Z06...i'm in need of some tribal knowledge

The car is a 2016 Z06 with lingenfelter supercharger pulleys stock manifolds and cats, and an aftermarket cat back exhaust. Working off the Tuning School books MAF only procedure I was able to get the fuel in but the timing (torque management?) still is not happy and pulling lots of timing. If I am tuning in MAF only will the VE torque maps still pull the timing out like crazy? I attached a log of a WOT 2-4500 run along with the tune. I can start to tune the VE fuel if need be. I think my problems are from the virtual torque maps not being correct. The engine torque values look reasonable but the wheel torque values seem high. I put a knock monitor on and set the center freq to 5.6Khz and will do a run tomorrow and see if I can hear knock but I haven't heard anything yet. I will start the task of tuning the virtual torque maps tomorrow. I would really appreciate someone reviewing / critiquing my tune so I can learn. Thanks! EdGary Run30.hplEd_Tuning_5.hpt

Advanced Tuner
    I can teach u - 350. Per tune

Senior Tuner SultanHassanMasTuning's Avatar
    all newer PCMs are torque based, you will need to get your airflow models and torque tables all in-line to to get the spark requested and fueling.
    Follow @MASTUNING visit www.mastuned.com
    Remote Tuning [email protected]
    Contact/Whatsapp +966555366161

Tuner in Training
    I'll keep chipping away.
    Thanks for the feedback I appreciate it.

Tuner in Training
    I'm still at it and I can't get the Max Engine Tq values high enough and the CMD Tq will cross the Max TQ limiter line and take spark out. I have raised DD tables the Virtual Torque tables in the WOT areas. I can see the CMD and Eng TQ increasing but not the Max Torque Limiter. Maybe I'm too high on the DD tables?... or not high enough... I attached a short run. I have not adjusted VE fuel at WOT...the book only shows doing that at part throttle. Thanks in advance!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Try stock DD, stock Peak Tq, and stock Virtual Torque.

Tune your MAF and VE at part throttle and full throttle and everything in between.

I have a Z06 with a cam and whipple and completely stock torque tables (except for my external load table which I am about to put back to stock to see what's what).

I have logged hundreds of hours of my 18 Camaro with LT4 S/C conv, so I know exactly how that car works. Applying that knowledge and custom equations I found the following. Based on the log data: Your DD table is pretty good but limiting at 1800-2600 mid throttle 20-38% area and not all items - 5 spots actually.

Your Virt TQ is too high - put back to stock and decrease the last row by 5% and interpolate. Do this for all cam angles since you're still running variable timing and its jumping around the different Vir TQ graphs. I can get the tps to 99.6% on these Gen6 cars along with Gen5.

Log: EQ cmd for fuel, pedal source (should be 2 items), baro, and manifold press hi res if you have it. PM me your results and stock tune.
    Last edited by Camaro6; 04-16-2019 at 02:19 PM.
    2018 Camaro SS, LT4 Fuel System, LT4 S/C
    2020 Ford Edge ST
    1999 Pontiac Firehawk
    1987 Chevy Caprice, 6.0L TT 4L80 AWD
    ***Only AWD box chevy in the world***
    Next Level Tuning and Performance
    Tuning email: [email protected]

Tuner in Training
    Guys this info is beyond excellent and I appreciate the mega hours you guys have into this. I have a bunch going on at work (the daytime job& life) I hope to be back tuning tomorrow and have some results and probably more questions. Thanks -Ed

Tuner in Training
    I did the -5%changes to the V Torque maps and the Eng Max Tq was better and now higher than CMD. Now I think the DD map is limiting from 2700-4000 20-64 pedal? Also...are the PKTQ #'s are too high at 749-769? I plan on tuning the VE fuel everywhere with the day off for the holiday. -EdEd_Tuning_8VTQ.hptGary Run33a.hplEd_Tuning_8VTQ.hptGary Run33a.hpl

Engine side of things:
    predicted should be higher than actual
    actual tq should not hit max tq
    max tq should not hit peak tq

Axle side of things (DD Table):
    Actual should not hit predicted
    Higher the DD table, the higher your Predicted will be which also carries over the engine side of things as well.

You made it to 50% okay (some spots are 2% low 10-44%), then you need 8%, 25%, 29% So bump up 62% pedal from 30mph (4%) or whatever is after 50% for your tune. 74 & 86% pedal bump up 8% from 30or 40mph. Leave the last row alone.

Your Virt TQ mathematically works out for now. This might change when you get more throttle with no limiting. It takes time with these cars.
    2018 Camaro SS, LT4 Fuel System, LT4 S/C
    2020 Ford Edge ST
    1999 Pontiac Firehawk
    1987 Chevy Caprice, 6.0L TT 4L80 AWD
    ***Only AWD box chevy in the world***
    Next Level Tuning and Performance
    Tuning email: [email protected]

Tuner in Training
    Here is the latest run and cal. I am able to keep increasing the initial torque to the dyno but the car keeps pulling spark during the run. I have a target of .84 lambda at wot and the car likes that over .82. I think the DD and VE torque tables are close but something must still be wrong with the torque model? At light throttle I think the DD table needs to go up slightly but at WOT I can't figure out why it pulls timing / tq. With the low timing would this cause pre-ignition and cause the knock sensors to pick that up and pull more timing? I have yet to have a clean run without crazy KR. I have a PLEX knock monitor on the heads front of the heads and it is picking up random noise during the run... I'm speculating pre-ign from suppressed timing?
    Attached Files Attached Files