Thread: 07 5.4l Ford F150 fuel and vct issues

Tuner in Training

07 5.4l Ford F150 fuel and vct issues

I am having issues, and know that all of you can help me. I am trying to turn off the vct. There are no modifications to the truck. I Turned vct off, and zeroed out the tables in the spark table. When I flashed the tune to the truck, it wouldn't run correctly. It won't run over 3k rpm, and 30mph. It will also kick to neutral when you floor it, and do nothing. The O2 sensors read .032v constant, but the timing goes as it should. I changed the base fuel table a little by increasing the .82 lambda to .86 as well. I am at a loss.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tuner in Training
    Can one of you guys please help me. I need to get this truck running.

Potential Tuner
    I think you only need to turn off vct under engine-airflow-variable camshaft- disable.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by tlcarterdiesel View Post
    I think you only need to turn off vct under engine-airflow-variable camshaft- disable.
    I did that, flashed the tune, and the truck will not fuel. I have no check engine lights, and I am beating my head against the wall. I know there used to be a 5.4l tuning guide on the forums, but I can't find it, or any tuned 5.4l trucks in the tune repository.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Loki9247 View Post
    I did that, flashed the tune, and the truck will not fuel. I have no check engine lights, and I am beating my head against the wall. I know there used to be a 5.4l tuning guide on the forums, but I can't find it, or any tuned 5.4l trucks in the tune repository.
    Did you install lockouts? What's VCT mode set to?

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by momotunes View Post
    Did you install lockouts? What's VCT mode set to?
    Installed lockouts, vct set to off, vct tables on spark tab zeroed out. When logging, timing moves as it should, but the o2s read .037

Advanced Tuner
    I'm not at a computer but I thought there was a table for VCT mode. Normally set to torque based or something like that. I'm not a ford tuning expect as I'm working some issues out myself but I'll try to help. Are you sure timing is correct and you put phasers back together correctly? Log cam angle error for both Banks and see if there around the same. Also that crankcase vent hose on the drivers side valve cover, make sure it locked into place. Mine kept wanting to pop off so I finally replaced it.

Advanced Tuner
    If all that checks well put the stock tune on the truck and unplug the vct solenoids and see how it runs

Tuner in Training
    If all that checks well put the stock tune on the truck and unplug the vct solenoids and see how it runs
    I have not checked the cam angle error, but I did reload to stock, and the truck ran exactly the same as it was when I turned vct off. I'll be home in a few, and do a log file, and post it.

Tuner in Training
    Here is the log file. Closest I can tell is that it isn't getting fuel for some reason.

Tuner in Training
    Figured it out. The stock fueling plan that got read was wayyyyyy too lean. I richened it up, turned up the fuel pressure, and now the truck runs as it should. Thanks for the help.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Loki9247 View Post
    Figured it out. The stock fueling plan that got read was wayyyyyy too lean. I richened it up, turned up the fuel pressure, and now the truck runs as it should. Thanks for the help.

How does this happen?

Tuner in Training
    How does this happen?
    Not the tune, but the injectors are clogged as hell????

Tuner in Training
    fuel trim.jpg
    Bad injectors?

Advanced Tuner
    If there bad send me a PM. I have a set of eight that are flow matched for sale. Never used them and still in packaging.

Tuner in Training
    I'm having a hard time getting the wot pedal position to begin in the correct place. I have changet the counts to 750, but when I'm in gear, and get to 22% of how far I have pushed the throttle, it opens the tb to 78? regardless of what I set. Also, my commander lambda isn't changing with rpm and load. What is going on?