Thread: Does anyone know of a way to unlock or stop the TCC from turning in Park/Neutral?

Advanced Tuner

Does anyone know of a way to unlock or stop the TCC from turning in Park/Neutral?

Does anyone know of a way to fully unlock or stop the TCC from turning in Park/Neutral?

I have an aftermarket torque converter that is noisy when in Park or Neutral only, when it's unlocked and there is no load on it. It spins roughly the same speed as idle and makes a varying amount of noise - a staple noise for this converter.....

Are there any settings in HP Tuners affect the TCC in Park/Neutral? Any pressure or modulation change would probably prevent help. I know we are missing TCC lockup settings for 1st gear in drive.. anything for N/P?

I think if I could change any setting at all, to affect it's ability to freewheel in Park/Neutral, the noise would go away. The slip is under 30rpm when this occurs as it's almost up to full idle speed freewheeling..... making a ton of noise - more so when the low speed slip varies. like 10-30rpm (idle speed minus 10-30rpm). Putting it in drive stops the TCC from spinning since it has a load and is STILL unlocked just like in Neutral.
    Last edited by blackbolt22; 04-07-2019 at 10:24 PM.

Senior Tuner
    I think most TCC are fully unlocked in 1st gear, no actual control over that until 2nd or higher. Locking it while stopped would just pull down the Idle RPMs or stall the engine. The TCC lockup is to close the gap in Engine RPM/ impeller with the turbine/ input shaft speed.

I think you are confusing the stator's one way clutch(mechanical diode) with the goal of the TCC lock up. It is what keeps the stator from spinning when you come to a stop. The operation of the OWC isn't something you can control from the ECU, you would need to pull the converter and check if the stator free spins one way and is locked in the other.

https://youtu.be/bRcDvCj_JPs?t=287
    This video describes it better than I ever could in writing.

Advanced Tuner
    TCC.JPG

Here is the operation off my TCC in Park/Neutral and then transitioning to in Gear. It definitely free spins at near idle speed as shown here minus 0 to 20rpm (this is when the noise is occuring). The TCC ratio is nearly 1.00 which is similar to being locked (even though it's not, it's just freewheeling at essentially full speed). Putting it in Gear stops it from freewheeling because then it has a load on it... I will edit more when I get to work...