Thread: Anyone know what happened here or do I need to open yet another support ticket?

Advanced Tuner

Anyone know what happened here or do I need to open yet another support ticket?

Had some good data from my drive home today, looking at the laptop occasionally. The I see this thing going batshit crazy and it won't shut off. All data lost.

So as it stands I've been told by support to not try to tune my TCM again. Not really comfortable tuning the PCM having been told that. I have a lot I would like to do.

Now I can't even scan it. Any ideas? My guess is no or it's something on my end right?

https://youtu.be/qw7YoGZqwuM

Advanced Tuner
    The HP Tuners Mission Statement
    To provide the most complete, cost effective tuning and data acquisition solutions for enthusiasts, professional workshops and dealerships. Our years of success and experience in the automotive industry gives us the competitive advantage to stay ahead of the market, innovate and adapt to future technologies first. Continuing to develop an unprecedented product offering and the necessary technical support to back it up.
    Again, bullshit.

Hi Jason B I have worked in IT for over 20 years now and have seen stuff happen like that all the time.
    Here is my opinion.
    1. The amount of data that is collected can not exceed your Memory. ( If this was a long capture say 20 min in is saving all of that in memory and in cache memory.)
    2. The amount of installed memory on the laptop? Lets say 4Gig every program running at the time will take up some installed memory the OS usually uses at a minimum 1/3 of installed memory.
    3. Cache memory is biased on Hard drive space available. So if you have a 20Gig Hard drive then all of the programs installed downloads ecta take up that space. So if space is Low this can defiantly affect the cache memory.
    4. From your video it appears the program freezes up completely. Can you run a small capture like 5 min?
    You are getting upset at the wrong person. The program works great I have captured over 1 hour of drive time with no issues. (No I do not work for HP Tuners.) But I have terabytes of space.
    I would recommend cleaning up the laptop. Determine what other programs are running at the time of the capture and shut them down. if you are low on over all hard drive space clear it up. Or get a newer laptop. I know money does not grow on trees.
    Hope this helps in some way.
    Changes are everyday a good Tune is forever.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by KRHooper View Post
    Hi Jason B I have worked in IT for over 20 years now and have seen stuff happen like that all the time.
    Here is my opinion.
    1. The amount of data that is collected can not exceed your Memory. ( If this was a long capture say 20 min in is saving all of that in memory and in cache memory.)
    2. The amount of installed memory on the laptop? Lets say 4Gig every program running at the time will take up some installed memory the OS usually uses at a minimum 1/3 of installed memory.
    3. Cache memory is biased on Hard drive space available. So if you have a 20Gig Hard drive then all of the programs installed downloads ecta take up that space. So if space is Low this can defiantly affect the cache memory.
    4. From your video it appears the program freezes up completely. Can you run a small capture like 5 min?
    You are getting upset at the wrong person. The program works great I have captured over 1 hour of drive time with no issues. (No I do not work for HP Tuners.) But I have terabytes of space.
    I would recommend cleaning up the laptop. Determine what other programs are running at the time of the capture and shut them down. if you are low on over all hard drive space clear it up. Or get a newer laptop. I know money does not grow on trees.
    Hope this helps in some way.
    Thank you, maybe you should work for hptuners.

I don't know what happened from what you're saying. I'll look into it more.
    I used the same laptop and made the same drive since this happened two times without any problems without doing anything to the laptop.

You know theres always more to why someones upset about something. Heres one, when I bought hptuners back in '04 or '05 I also bought a new laptop just for the program and when it wouldn't work they told me maybe I should find an older laptop. Now my laptop (it's a different one) is too old, oh and hptuners said my car is too old maybe thats the cause of another problem I had.

So as it stands I was advised by hptuners support to not tune my TCM because there is an issue on their side and they don't know what it is.

Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it.
    Last edited by Jason B; 04-12-2019 at 05:53 AM.