Thread: 2004 Tune build for Mileage and towing with compounds.

Tuner in Training

2004 Tune build for Mileage and towing with compounds.

Looking to help out my tow rig/daily in the mileage department. I know its not setup for the the best for MPG, and I am not changing that. Just looking to optimize the tune the best I can. Its a 2004 2500 I converted into a dually on 37s, stock CP3, stock injectors, 3.73 gears, and a small tow twins set I built out of a HE351/467. Right now my current tune uses about 8-10* inj timing and about 21k psi of rp in the cruising area, 2500us max duration (rather not change this for power reasons). My main concern is the pilot timing/pw. I havent messed with it much and I have heard there is some mileage/spoolup that can be had with good pilot tuning.

Just looking for some advice, and personal experiences with what works.

Thanks!

Tuner in Training
    If you guys could post a tune that is designed for mileage or towing, that would be awesome too. I like looking through the tunes and seeing what others are doing.

Banned
    Turn down your rail in the cruise region, 12.5-14.5kpsi

Tuner in Training
    I turned the RP down to 16k, I will run a tank through it and see how it does. I also noticed I had the pilot PW zeroed out and post PW added in... so I reversed that and just set them at factory calibrations. The truck gets 13.5-14mpg if I baby it unloaded, and 7.5-8mpg with my loaded 48ft enclosed trailer.

Banned
    Those will make a difference for sure. 21kpsi at cruise is too much and not needed. Stock is around 19kpsi in the cruise region with stock tires but it?s up there mainly for emissions purposes.

Tuner in Training
    It has a rattle in it now, I assume its because it could use a new set of injectors. The truck has over 400k miles on it now and I have only put 2 injectors in it... Looking at some S&S torque master injectors or maybe a 40% overs.

Banned
    Yea that?s some high mileage injectors. A bit of a bump up in pulsewidth helps with high mileage injectors. My old 05 I gave about a 4% increase across the table before the truck began to feel like it had life again and wasn?t so flat feeling, at that point I was able to get rail and timing where it would do well.