Thread: Need advice 411/7.4

Potential Tuner

Need advice 411/7.4

Hey everyone

I'm posting before I buy anything for my newest project so I don't end up buying stuff twice.

Little about me - I work on night vision and anti-tank missles in the Marines, so wiring and troubleshooting is no issue; I've never programed anything before, so I anticipate some stumbling.

My goal is to swap a FI'd 454 w/ twin turbos into some GM roller.

To setup everything, I plan on buying a 1998-2004 GM truck with the mutliport 454. I'll chop and gut until everything fits, turbos, tune the engine while in the donor, and pull it later.

I see the 12200411 mentioned alot - is it a direct swap for the 7.4? What are the benefits? What years don't have it?

What product do I need from HP to do all of this?

Is tuning for boost pretty easy? I know I can do the hardware side of turbos, it's the computer control that's all new to me.

Thanks for any help you can provide - please share any Barney-style videos or links you guys have.

The 0411 is probably your best bet for making this work, you just have to repin the truck harness from the old ecm connectors to connectors that plug into the 0411. This will kinda give you an idea.

http://www.gmtruckcentral.com/articles/12200411.html

The stock computers used with the 454's aren't capable of running a 2 or 3 bar OS that hp tuners offers. So you'll have to get your computer swapped, then apply a custom 2 bar or 3 bar os from hpt, and then it's just a matter of tuning the VE table. A wideband 02 sensor will be required for this.. The pro version of hpt makes it easy to route that into the software for data logging, but it is possible to use the egr sensor input to get the data into the computer, then transform it to a AFR reading.

Easy is probably relative.. I would recommend tuning the truck NA first to get comfortable with it, then apply boost.
    2000 K2500 - 489 CI Vortec w/ comp XE270 cam - 0411 swap and rear mount turbo
    1972 M35a2
    2011 LML Duramax

Potential Tuner
    Really appreciate it, Obsolete489.

I'm reading the link now. The repinning will be easy, you should see TOW missile connectors.
    What's required from hpt to apply the os?

" A wideband 02 sensor will be required for this.. The pro version of hpt makes it easy to route that into the software for data logging, but it is possible to use the egr sensor input to get the data into the computer, then transform it to a AFR reading."

So if I went the pro version, the EGR wouldn't be required because the wideband would provide AFR? I don't expect to have EGR when I move the drivetrain into a roller.
    Last edited by Lucky_13; 04-14-2019 at 09:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky_13 View Post
    Really appreciate it, Obsolete489.

I'm reading the link now. The repinning will be easy, you should see TOW missile connectors.
    What's required from hpt to apply the os?

" A wideband 02 sensor will be required for this.. The pro version of hpt makes it easy to route that into the software for data logging, but it is possible to use the egr sensor input to get the data into the computer, then transform it to a AFR reading."

So if I went the pro version, the EGR wouldn't be required because the wideband would provide AFR? I don't expect to have EGR when I move the drivetrain into a roller.
    Ha I bet a TOW is a little more involved. Googling the custom os change would be your best bet, it's an option in the OS tab. Screen shots or a video are much better at explaining it, but it makes all the fueling run off of a larger VE table (so 2 bar goes to 210 kpa).

You don't have to run the egr wither way. With the standard version you just have to route the wideband through a 0-5v input pin on the computer. The egr sensor input is the most popular and the one I've personally used as an input, but there should be an AC pin that works as well. The downside to this is then you can't run your egr (if you would want to) while using a wideband. Personally I don't run an egr so that would not bother me.

Pro version just has input ports so you don't have to worry about that.
    2000 K2500 - 489 CI Vortec w/ comp XE270 cam - 0411 swap and rear mount turbo
    1972 M35a2
    2011 LML Duramax

Advanced Tuner
    If you need any vin swapping, custom os, whatever. Let me know. I can modify pcms to any combo. I've even got the egr monitor on a 02 OS for that 7.4 if it needs it.
    Thanks,

Dustin

Potential Tuner

More options

So I'm now considering instead of repinning an existing harness in the donor, buying some kind of wiring harness meant to hookup a 0411 to a L29 454.

If that doesn't exist or it's too costly, I'm starting to thing it'd take less time/effort/material to make my own stripped down harness for my roller then repin the factory truck one.

As always, thoughts are welcome and appreciated.

EDIT
    I found this painless kit, which is pretty tempting, but I think requires a stock ECM instead of a 0411.
    https://www.painlessperformance.com/wc/60211
    Last edited by Lucky_13; 05-08-2019 at 06:13 AM.

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    i bought their 0411 kit for my dragster and then slaughtered it when i converted to stand alone.

the harness you found requires the 1996-97 oem computers which are numbers 16229684 or 16244210
    it may be easier for you to purchase an 0411 standalone and then repin the engine connectors with new components that work with your existing oem connectors.
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

Potential Tuner
    So you're saying get a kit for a 350 or whatever, ment for a stock 0411 application, and modify/change the actual sensors on the motor?

If I understand that right, it might be an option. Probably easier then repinning the 96-97 harness for 0411

Do you have a link to the harness you used?
    Why did you switch from 0411 to (I assume) aftermarket standalone?

well if you use the 0411 and its standalone harness then you should just have to install connectors for your actual motor. I think there is an 0411 swap website for 350 and 454 applications. it should tell you how to repin the harness to work. In this case you can just make sure the pin outs match the locations for the swap and then your 0411 harness would plug into your 7.4 like an oem harness.

i switched to a stand alone because i was looking for full control over boost and a transbrake. i didnt want to add electronic controllers for both because i wanted it all to take up a smaller footprint in my dragster. im not competitive enough to worry about weight savings but if anything electrically goes wrong i have a smaller footprint to diagnose.

this is the usual information link i see getting posted in here for black box ecu upgrades to 0411:
    http://www.gmtruckcentral.com/articles/12200411.html

Potential Tuner
    Thanks for all the info, and I've seen that 0411 link before.

But that wouldn't apply if I had a 0411 harness, because I'd be repinning the sensor connecters, not the pcm connecter, correct?

Can you drop a link to an 0411 harness?

that link can still come in handy when trying to sort the connector swap out. still tells you where your 7.4 wires go in relation to the ls wires.

ecu and harness
    https://www.painlessperformance.com/wc/60714

just harness
    https://www.painlessperformance.com/wc/60218

lucky 13, I have used several Vortec harnesses and repined to the 411, it is simple and all sensor wiring is in the right location, they are around $50 to $150 locally, depending on the day. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Shade_tree_mechanic View Post
    lucky 13, I have used several Vortec harnesses and repined to the 411, it is simple and all sensor wiring is in the right location, they are around $50 to $150 locally, depending on the day. lol
    its really the best route when you have the 7.4 harness already.