Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2018 Camaro LTG - torque management

Tuner in Training

2018 Camaro LTG - torque management

Hi,

i try to tune my 2018 camaro 2.0 but no matter the change the result is the same (295-300 torque)! Does someone have a base tune to get me started. Stock tune does not seem boosted more than 6-7 psi !!!

throttle open at 100%
    boost very low (like oem)
    spark table are very bad (knock everytime)

Thanks

send me your tune I'll take a look [email protected]
    '12 Caprice PPV 6.0 L77 - daily transportation
    8.7 @ 84 (1/8 mile) bolt-ons

'02 Silverado RCSB 5.3 L59 - regularly street driven
    8.2 @ 86 (1/8 mile) stock cam and spray
    8.6 @ 84 (1/8 mile) cam and heads no spray

Our YOUTUBE CHANNEL featuring the Silverado

Your stock tune also!

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Boost View Post
    send me your tune I'll take a look [email protected]
    Done!

ok thanks I'll take a look give me some time as I'm working late today and tomorrow but I'll def. make you one

Tuner in Training
    If i had boost the throttel cut at 50%. I have made many test with no succes!?!? Nobody can help me?

throttle cut 2.hplthrottle cut.hpl

Wondering if you have already adjusted the Desired settings for the Pedal already..?

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Boost View Post

Wondering if you have already adjusted the Desired settings for the Pedal already..?

Im not sure about your question... if about drive demand : i have adjusted drive demande table to make sure the pedal (in drive demand) never hit actual axle torque!
    Last edited by PatZ24; 04-26-2019 at 09:37 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    have you upped your virtual torque tables? post tune if you like any help. stock and tune

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by TCSS07 View Post
    have you upped your virtual torque tables? post tune if you like any help. stock and tune
    no i never touched this table!

Stock tune Camaro 2018.hpt

AGP boost adjuste test.hpt

Advanced Tuner
    That's probably holding you back if you've made the proper adjustments. I'll look at it tomorrow. Been a long week

Advanced Tuner
    A few things I noticed.

Under engine diag - for tests p0068 set to max to disable and for p0101,p0106,p0121 set min ect to 493. These tests can cause reduce engine power. For tuning purpose or having no converter or like me just because. The catalyst test can change commanded afr at times for no reason other than performing a ecu test. It will however stop the ecm from running the catalyst test for emissions testing if required where you live so you'll have to set p0420 to no error reported which you already done so id say just disable it.

Under engine - If your going to do any tuning to your car for the airflow models you need to put them in their individual modes. Maf only and ve/vve only. Otherwise you'll get conflicting data. Read up on maf and ve/vve tuning. I choose to run maf only on the vve ecms - my preference. Unless you can 2 Bar OS to which you get actual ve chart and don't have to deal with the coefficients. When it comes time for wot tuning you will want to disable all the fuel adders like piston protection and turbo over temp and such as they will add fueling and alter the base afr/lambda and you have a built in wideband which is nice.

For torque management - set peak, brake, overboost and default trans to 500. I see you already raised DD which is good.

Torque management boost control - boost max limit - put that back to factory. It is a safety net for the ecm to never go above that. It doesn't limit. Pressure delta factor controls boost ramp in but may also limit you in terms of max boost achieved so add 20-25% to that. You do that by putting 1.2(20%) or 1.25(25%) in the box, highlight the table and click x. Knock air mass is a pretty powerful table as it is a boost limiter based off air mass allowed vs spark. Some people go about this table differently by keeping a factory style feel but for tuning and how I leave the chart is like this. I set the rows to all one solid number but keep the taper style from low rpm(smaller air mass) to higher rpm(larger air mass). So like 1600 rpm is all .8, 3k is all 1.2, 6900 is all 1.5. Not actual numbers. Just giving you an example of how I layout my knock air mass table. You don't need to get all crazy with the numbers to achieve desired boost as it can make the ecm freak out so make small changes and save different files so you have a good working back up. Some will say its not safe to do it that way and that is true it may not be for beginner tuners however if you know how to tune it will be fine. After you get a feel for everything then sure you can bring the numbers back down to a more reasonable range for safety and or piece of mind but I don't like the ecm to have any say in what I want it to do but again that's me.

Airflow/turbocharger - over speed limit min - drop that down some. 2.0 should be fine. It can limit boost to a point but it's mainly there to stop a over boosting condition from the target boost you're after. So you're asking for 20 psi but it spikes up to 26 psi because your over speed safety net is to high and couldn't catch it for example along with having a high max boost chart. Things can go bad like that. Put the wastegate base dc back to factory for now. Adjust that as the final step to fine tune boost if need be. You usually don't have to mess with that to get desired boost. Pressure ratio max can limit upper rpm boost. So for pressure ratio max no chart cell - set that to 5 but leave the pressure ratio max based off mass airflow at your 3.6 for now and adjust later if need be. Remember again you don't need to get all crazy with the numbers to achieve desired boost.

Virtual torque is probably what is holding you back from making the boost that you want to make. It was on my Cruze LE2. Again drop that max boost chart back to factory. I'm going to attach a print screen of the difference of my virtual torque tables on my tune compared to factory for my cruze. It boosts up 20 psi then tapers down to 17 psi. Let me know if you don't know how to open compare files and look at the difference between the two or if you need me to explain more. I wrote alot. Like I said earlier I run maf only so the changes are made to only the maf portion of the virtual torque tables only. If you run a blend tune or vve only you will have to adjust those as well. My maf virtual torque tables A,B,C,D in the attachment all have the same difference in them to maintain the factory layout and then tweak from there. You can find the virtual torque tables up in "Edit". Its right under VVE (Virtual Volumetric Efficiency). I make the changes in the actual torque model/general because then I don't have to hit make new coefficients which changes the entire table when all I want to change is the higher up rpms cells. If you want to go ahead and make the difference of your tune file against your stock file the same as mine go for it but you will need to go in maf only mode. Again make small changes to see how the car reacts and also so you can get use to how the tables work within the program and save new files often.

Attachment 89188

Edit - made a couple typos and forgot a couple things. after you make the virtual torque changes, open up the actual virtual torque charts and you can see the changes made. Also make sure you make the changes to all the tables A,B,C,D because its based of VVT Cam Degrees also. Everything I said is for starting out you may need to raise torque management higher to meet your needs since every vehicle is different but you will come to learn that these new ecms like harmony. Blend tune is using maf and vve for fueling.
    Last edited by TCSS07; 04-27-2019 at 04:54 PM.

A few things I noticed.

Under engine diag - for tests p0068 set to max to disable and for p0101,p0106,p0121 set min ect to 493. These tests can cause reduce engine power. For tuning purpose or having no converter or like me just because. The catalyst test can change commanded afr at times for no reason other than performing a ecu test. It will however stop the ecm from running the catalyst test for emissions testing if required where you live so you'll have to set p0420 to no error reported which you already done so id say just disable it.

Under engine - If your going to do any tuning to your car for the airflow models you need to put them in their individual modes. Maf only and ve/vve only. Otherwise you'll get conflicting data. Read up on maf and ve/vve tuning. I choose to run maf only on the vve ecms - my preference. Unless you can 2 Bar OS to which you get actual ve chart and don't have to deal with the coefficients. When it comes time for wot tuning you will want to disable all the fuel adders like piston protection and turbo over temp and such as they will add fueling and alter the base afr/lamda and you have a built in wideband which is nice.

For torque management - set peak, brake, overboost and default trans to 500. I see you already raised DD which is good.

Torque management boost control - boost max limit - put that back to factory. It is a safety net for the ecm to never go above that. It doesn't limit. Pressure delta factor controls boost ramp in but may also limit you in terms of max boost achieved so add 20-25% to that. You do that by putting 1.2(20%) or 1.25(25%) in the box, highlight the table and click x. Knock air mass is a pretty powerful table as it is a boost limiter based off air mass allowed vs spark. Some people go about this table differently by keeping a factory style feel but for tuning and how I leave the chart is like this. I set the rows to all one solid number but keep the taper style from low rpm(smaller air mass) to higher rpm(larger air mass). So like 1600 rpm is all .8, 3k is all 1.2, 6900 is all 1.5. Not actual numbers. Just giving you an example of how I layout my knock air mass table. You don't need to get all crazy with the numbers to achieve desired boost as it can make the ecm freak out so make small changes and save different files so you have a good working back up. Some will say its not safe to do it that way and that is true it may not be for beginner tuners however if you know how to tune it will be fine. After you get a feel for everything then sure you can bring the numbers back down to a more reasonable range so safety and or piece of mind but i don't like the ecm to have any say in what I want it to do but again that's me.

Airflow/turbocharger - over speed limit min - drop that down some. 2.0 should be fine. It can limit boost to a point but it's mainly there to stop a over boosting condition from the target boost you're after. So you're asking for 20 psi but it spikes up to 26 psi because your over speed safety net is to high and couldn't catch it for example along with having a high max boost chart. Things can go bad like that. Put the wastegate base dc back to factory for now. Adjust that as the final step to fine tune boost if need be. You usually don't have to mess with that to get desired boost. Pressure ratio max can limit upper rpm boost. So for pressure ratio max no chart cell - set that to 5 but leave the pressure ratio max based off mass airflow at your 3.6 for now and adjust later if need be. Remember again you don't need to get all crazy with the numbers to achieve desired boost.

Virtual torque is probably what is holding you back from making the boost that you want to make. It was on my Cruze LE2. Again drop that max boost chart back to factory. I'm going to attach a print screen of the difference of my virtual torque tables on my tune compared to factory for my cruze. It boosts up 20 psi then tapers down to 17 psi. Let me know if you don't know how to open compare files and look at the difference between the two or if you need to to explain more. I wrote alot. Like I said earlier I run maf only so the changes are made to only the maf portion of the virtual torque tables only. If you run a blend tune of vve only you will have to adjust those as well. My maf virtual tuque tables A,B,C,D in the attachment all have the same difference in them to maintain the factory layout and then tweak from there. You can find the virtual torque tables up in "Edit". Its right under VVE (Virtual Volumetric Efficiency). I make the changes in the actual torque model/general because then I don't have to hit make new coefficients which changes the entire table when all I want to change is the higher up rpms cells. If you want to go ahead and make the difference of your tune file against your stock file the same as mine go for it but you will need to go in maf only mode. Again make small changes to see how the car reacts and also so you can get use to how the tables work within the program and safe new files often.

Attachment 89188

Advanced Tuner
    Thanks boost lol
    Also excuse my typing I suck sometimes lol

Thank you, I'm sure everyone appreciates it and it's easy to tell what was meant with the few typos lol. Answers like this (and good questions too) greatly contribute to the value of this forum, I am on here all day from work learning to diagnose and modify all the latest GM stuff.

Advanced Tuner
    I'm on here alot as well. I've learned alot from here and it's only right to give back in the same regard when I can. Took me a little bit to figure out why I wasnt boosting my commanded boost until I came across a couple threads about the virtual torque to which made sense as to why its holding the car back. I wanted to see 20 psi but couldn't get above 15 psi so I was a little confused because I made all the same changes I did on the 1st gen Cruze to this one and nothing. So when I made the virtual torque changes my boost jumped up to my 20 psi I wanted to see. It tapers down because the turbo isnt meant for power however its more fun to drive now just hope the piston doesnt pop. I'm also a gm tech. Do you have cruze/Malibu piston problems by you also? Lol
    Last edited by TCSS07; 04-27-2019 at 04:57 PM.

yes. lol. also

Advanced Tuner
    Junk hahahahaha

Advanced Tuner
    Daily here. Cam cover leaks and noisy crank seals. Cracked pistons, injectors, hp fuel pumps, water pumps, etc..

Tuner in Training
    Is it possible to get an explanation of these tables? I have looked much, but information is very unclear as too what these tables do, why adjust them, or how to properly adjust them. I have played some with them and notice transmission changes. Any help most appreciated on this matter!