Thread: Global WOT spark?

Tuner in Training

Global WOT spark?

I moved to another area and am seeing knock activity now at WOT with the available pump fuel. Knock sensors showed a max of +1.9 during testing.

My level of knowledge is minimal to say the least here so am asking for help please. Is there some type of "global WOT spark" adjustment box that is simple to make in the software? I have found the option under Knock Advance Limit to keep it from adding timing if no knock is detected and could zero it out there. That doesn't seem to be what I'm looking for though.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Riptide_NVN; 04-14-2019 at 06:07 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Riptide_NVN View Post
    I moved to another area and am seeing knock activity now at WOT with the available pump fuel. Knock sensors showed a max of +1.9 during testing.

My level of knowledge is minimal to say the least here so am asking for help please. Is there some type of "global WOT spark" adjustment box that is simple to make in the software? I have found the option under Knock Advance Limit to keep it from adding timing if no knock is detected and could zero it out there. That doesn't seem to be what I'm looking for though.

Thanks.
    When you ask for help, it would help us if you included what type of vehicle setup you're running.

If Knock retard showed +1.9 then the correct way to fix this is lower your borderline timing at the affected RPMs. Make a histogram with rpm vs knock retard. Be sure it's knock retard, not knock correction though. For the specific item you're looking for, my strategy has "Global Spark - Adder" but this should only be used as a quick way to reduce timing to be safe on first tuning session since it affects ALL tables. Speaking of adders do not forget there are many other adders that could be bringing up your timing a little too high under certain conditions. Personally I tune borderline to be close to MAX and let knock retard add the rest for a nice safe cushion
    Knock Retard is the reduction or prevention of knock by lowering ignition timing:

(+) Adding Knock Retard = Reducing Timing. PCM is seeing knock.
    (--) Lowering Knock Retard = Increasing Timing. PCM isn't seeing knock.
    __________________________________________________ ________

2014 Mustang GT Premium. VMP Gen2R Supercharged with an FTI 3000rpm Converter. JLT, BMR, Steeda, Viking, etc.
    Don't fix it if it ain't broken | Maximum effort gets maximum results