Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Timing and injector split on a 6.7

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Kavney View Post
    I understand the relationship and economy vs performance I see stock they have a 50 in the 1st column in pilot injection if I set them from 50 to 40 will I have to set the 60 on my pilot 2 or just put 40 in 1st column in both pilot 1&2
    I'm not sure exactly what numbers you are referring to. Could you post a screenshot of the columns you're referring to?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Kavney View Post
    I understand the relationship and economy vs performance I see stock they have a 50 in the 1st column in pilot injection if I set them from 50 to 40 will I have to set the 60 on my pilot 2 or just put 40 in 1st column in both pilot 1&2
    Jeffrey you're confusing the pilot's with the main injection. The Pilot injection is not part of the split unless the calculator you're using adds it to which i'd say that's confusing you. Most of the time you only care about the main because we always know Pilots are just that, they are before our main. So Say we have a 45/55 split that's referring to the main injection we know if the main is splitting before and after TDC the pilot will be 100% BTDC. I'm a firm believer in using a timing calc as a point of reference only.
    Last edited by JaegerWrenching; 02-15-2020 at 09:49 PM.

Tuner
    I must be really confused if I add timing and fuel to the map how will i know how much is before TDC and what’s BEFORE AND AFTER I DONT KNOW IF IT IS THE VGT TURBO BUT I ADDED FUEL IN PILOT 1&2 and lambda to .30 I can’t get a puff I am not happy with my tuning If I knew where my stock file was I would just buy a tune Waiste of time

Tuner
    I’ll post it it’s the .50 1st column pilot 1 mode 0-3

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by CKrueg View Post
    I read a few study's and for the most part pilot mass had the greatest effect. More mass resulted in a slower pressure spike and reduced injection delay. It actually increased smoke but reduced NOx and noise. It did have a positive effect if main timing was retarded but the overall efficiency was better with increased main timing and reduced pilot mass. As for timing it had a greater effect on noise when it was close to the main injection however the best results was with 2 smaller pilots spaced out. What I did was converted the timing from degrees to Ms and then spaced them out a certain time before the main injection. So basically one pilot is always starting around 1 Ms before the main and the other is one Ms before the other pilot. Also as load increases I spaced them closer to the main since in theory they should ignite sooner after injection meaning you need less advance
    I'm not totally sure if this is best but the OEM map is all over the place which seems odd. My 6.4 ran great like this so I imagine it works well.
    I got bored and tried this today on my way to the grocery store. Interesting experiment! I had to force the truck into Injection Config 1 in all gears/conditions to make allow for 2 pilots. My pilot timing/mass probably could have used a little work, but it seemed to run well.

I got this weird diesel-rattle mode momentarily while slowing to a stop as the truck transitioned back into idle. I took logs but haven't looked into them yet. Re-loaded my last good tune for now until I dig any deeper.

Any chance you have any screenshots of your pilot timing/mass and main timing from back then? I'll try to post some up of my experiment in a bit.