Thread: Newbie question about data logging.

Tuner in Training

Newbie question about data logging.

I know this is probably listed somewhere on this site, but I'm just worn out looking for it as well as all the other side tracks I wind up following when something else of interest catches my eye.

So I'm just going to ask........

How many data streams can be captured simultaneously during logging and how frequent is the sample rate?

In other words, do I have to choose a small subset of all the possible data streams available (rpm,ltft, stft, iat, timing advance, air flow rate, etc., etc..) and if so HOW many can be captured in a single logging session? And how often will these samples be taken for the suite of data streams being monitored?

Oh yeah, is there any sort of satisfaction guarantee offered? Not a guarantee that it will add 100 horsepower to my car, but just that it will do everything that it is advertised to be able to do and I won't regret spending my money on it.

Thanks.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    http://www.hptuners.com/help/vcm_sca...lays_table.htm

Your vette(I assume your driving a 99+C5) probably falls in the 48bytes category which would work out as follows

1-6 Bytes 40 frames/sec
    7-12 Bytes 20 frames/sec
    13-24 Bytes 10 frames/sec
    25-48 Bytes 5 frames/sec
    Last edited by Bill@HPTuners; 09-04-2006 at 05:34 PM.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    as far as a guarantee goes you won't regret your purchase, but there is alot to learn...and if the c5 in your sig is the vehicle you drive you'll be able to edit well over 400 parameters and scan well over 200 parameters, 1,2,3, bar custom OS's real time tuning only using 1 of your 8 initial credits, you really cant go wrong. A support forum with 4500 members and counting and the owners of the forum being 3 of thee most active members makes it that much better.

Tuner in Training
    Ah, I see... Thanks. And of course, that generates more questions.

When setting up the PIDs does the program keep track of the number of bytes needed for each one and adjust the sampling rate accordingly?

And when graphing the results of the data logging, are the data lines overlayed on a single graph or do you need a separate graph for each data stream?

Reason I ask is because I bought one of those CarChips that will do rudimentary data logging, but I am restricted to only 4 data streams at a time, and the fastest sampling rate is once every 5 seconds. As you can imagine, this is not really very usefull except in a very broad sense. So I am looking for something a bit more industrial strength. Been puttering around with a Diablo Predator to just get my feet wet, and am reading up on some books I got on background info on engine tuning theory. Used to do auto machanics in my younger days (back when a tune was done with tools) and have a programming background as well. So I should take to this like a duck takes to water.

Oh, one other thing.... Wideband O2. Some people say that a sensor that attaches to the tailpipe is rather useless (yes I have high flow cats in place), and others say it is passable as long as you know it's limitation. I don't have a lift available, so there is just no way to try to attach a WB O2 on the exhaust before the cats. So with the limitation mentioned above, is there a model of WB O2 sensor that would be best for how I intend to use it?

And if this is just a harbrained idea from the start, is there really any sense to my buying HPTuners without using a WB O2 sensor?

Thanks.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    When setting up the PIDs does the program keep track of the number of bytes needed for each one and adjust the sampling rate accordingly?
    yes

And when graphing the results of the data logging, are the data lines overlayed on a single graph or do you need a separate graph for each data stream?
    I believe this will answer your question?

Oh, one other thing.... Wideband O2. Some people say that a sensor that attaches to the tailpipe is rather useless (yes I have high flow cats in place), and others say it is passable as long as you know it's limitation. I don't have a lift available, so there is just no way to try to attach a WB O2 on the exhaust before the cats. So with the limitation mentioned above, is there a model of WB O2 sensor that would be best for how I intend to use it?
    im usually able to have a local muffler shop weld in a bung before any cats.

And if this is just a harbrained idea from the start, is there really any sense to my buying HPTuners without using a WB O2 sensor?
    you can but dont expect to seriously do any wot tuning accuratly without one...most dyno shops have a wideband sensor handy so when you do runs on a dyno you can make adjustments with their equipment.

Tuner in Training
    Ah..... very good. But about that graph, can you select the x and/or y axis of the graph? In other words, suppose I wanted the x axis to be engine RPM rather then time (I am assuming this is the case in the example). What I would want to see is how the logged values changed based on engine rpm (or any of a number of other values that strike my fancy).

Or, as an alternative, is this data exportable to an Excel spreadsheet?

Most of my tuning will be for part throttle, as I rarely drive WOT.

Thanks.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    everythign is customizable, the table display, gauge display, histograms, graphs(as shown) can all be customized to fit the users needs...yes the data is exportable to excel.

Most of your questions can actually be answered here http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5691 or here www.hptuners.com/help

Tuner in Training
    OK, so I bit the bullet and ordered one.

So now where is the hand holding forum in this place?

Thanks for your help with my questions, btw...........

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    I would strongly suggest just reading through the two links I posted...go through the flash demos in the help file...there are more flash demo's to come...a few are just getting finishing touches. But tuning is just about knowledge...the more you read & take in the better...once you have the program in your hands alot of it will start ot make sense.