Thread: 2005 2006 colbalt 2.2 support

Potential Tuner

2005 2006 colbalt 2.2 support

Is there any support for 05-06 2.2 colbalt or can there be.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Unfortunately not, sorry. Oddball ecm.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Potential Tuner
    Ok thanks.

went through this, we swapped a 04 sunfire pcm in was pretty simple changing connectors for my sons 06 Cobalt circle track car.

Tuner in Training
    Hi, I have an 06' 2.2 Cobalt LS. It is a daily, but I would like to tinker with it... I see now that it has a b*****d PCM. I came across your post above... Did your car fully, and correctly function with the 04' Sunfire PCM? Transmission too? Any trouble issues at all? As for the swap, just changing the connectors? I'd sure appreciate any input your experience could provide, thanks in advance!

Everything works as supposed to but we also had to convert to cable throttle. It?s in a race car but trans etc all works exactly the way it is supposed to.

Potential Tuner
    I know I’m necro-posting an old thread but could you provide more info on the PCM swap?

Basically add a cable throttle body and adapt a pedal into the car. The rest is repinning the harness from the connector layout of the original pcm to the one for the earlier pcm. Pinout diagrams for each pcm are needed then just repin and obviously mount the pcm. We have a very small lithium battery on the left front and the new pcm and a small fuse block and pair of relays for fuel pump and fan. Ours is a circle track car so we weren?t concerned with the eps A/C etc. the speed density system that?s in those early pcm is easy to tune but doesn?t have a lot of resolution so to speak. We also can?t raise the rev limit as high as we?d like, I think the limit is 7300 not sure and don?t have my laptop nearby. Little motor is 2.4 bottom end with non vvt 2.2 head not much stock otherwise we did have to do a crank reluctor wheel swap to make 2.4 crank work with early pcm. Makes 270 at the front wheels through a manual trans

Potential Tuner
    My car is already drive by cable but I intend for it to be street driven, which brings the challenge of the BCM also needing to work.

Bcm and elec power steering may both become an issue. I know you can use Saturn vue epas as a stand-alone but not the cobalt one. Bcm would most likely be trickiest to make work although iirc the data bus goes through it before the pcm and anti theft which isn?t an issue aside from possibly having warning lights illuminated

Potential Tuner
    Did the cluster work with the new PCM? Or are you running other gauges?

I also seen mentioned that you had separate relays for fuel pump, was that because the BCM didn’t turn the pump on with the P11?
    Last edited by 19bonestock88; 01-02-2021 at 11:39 PM.

We gutted every bit of that stuff p11 is basically a stand-alone management system. We ran two races on the stock pcm bcm and cluster only because we built it in 6 days for the last two races of the year. Picked it up at auction on Friday gutted Friday night taken to chassis guy on Saturday picked up on Monday did some things and were racing on Thursday. I don?t think the think the stock electronics would?ve held up well in a dirt track environment. The P11 is on a different protocol than what the bcm etc would be looking for so I doubt they?ll get along although they may. Might be easier to go to a newer style pcm as it should get along with the other modules. You?ll have to go to a coil per plug setup but then you also run into 58x reluctor vs 7 and the l61 lacking a cam sensor. Kinda a bad spot all around.

Potential Tuner
    That’s why I’m looking at the P11 versus an E37. Don’t really wanna swap to a second gen engine. Ideally I want the car running on the P11 ok it’s current engine so I can get a base tune worked out before changing engines