Thread: Measuring intake system restriction with HP Tuners

Banned

Measuring intake system restriction with HP Tuners

I've bumped into and read this article http://www.autospeed.com/cms/A_11110...popularArticle a bunch of times over the years and it's always made me very curious, excited, hard...
    It shows how you can figure-out how restrictive/efficient your intake system is by buying and using a Magnehelic gauge (or making your own) plus drilling a hole or 3 into your intake.
    I don't want to buy or make a gauge I'll only use once or drill into my intake system (hm, come to think of it I've done both before) but would really like to know how restrictive it is, and I'm pretty sure it can easily be done with our scanners, but I'm not 100% sure of the parameters + math required.

Here's what I'm thinking and hoping is correct. Just these 2 parameters required:
    - Barometric pressure
    - Manifold pressure (at wot)

And now with some data and math:
    Baro = 100.3kPa
    MAP = 99.1kPa
    = 1.2kPa difference
    1.2kPa = 4.822 inches of water pressure drop.

Am I correct? Is it that easy?
    What's everyone elses pressure differences and what type of engines and intakes do you have?

I always look at map KPA, most vehicles will lower as RPM increases at WOT

Email Tunes, [email protected]
    96 TA Blown/Stroked, 4L80E/Fab 9
    15 C7 A8 H/C 2.3 Blower/PI
    14 Gen 5 Viper
    Custom Mid Engine chassis, AKA GalBen C

with a restrictive intake and the baro sensor in the maf, you can see baro drop, this is one of the reasons you want to break out the baro sensor on a pressure ratio car.