Thread: vin/vats swap bricked

vin/vats swap bricked

I'm working on a clients truck and I haven't been able to do a successful flash. the computers keep timing out halfway through the write. I contacted support as ive been struggling since Friday with this, I'm on the third computer this truck has bricked. I think its something related with the vats because the light comes on then you hear the chime and the write timer says timed out after. has anyone experienced this?
    2017 mustang gt

What kind of truck?

Any aftermarket radio's or alarm systems?

Just doing a write calibration on a P01/P59 for VATS removal shouldn't give you problems. Single licenses don't allow for VIN swaps though, I beleive you have to spend the 30 credits to unlock all GEN 3 trucks or atleast have a whole year unlocked to swap VIN's around.

And if emissions is not of a concern, the VIN number is pointless anyway.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Its an 05. And I think it's the aftermarket stereo that's bricking the ecms. Like I said its going to be the third one to do fail and completely blank out the ECM because of it. It finishes the erase procedure but fails the write almost immediately and now I have 3 ecms gone to waste. I'm awaiting on the tech to go over the electrical on the truck before I throw another ecm in.
    2017 mustang gt

Senior Tuner
    Pull the radio and unplug the aftermarket chime adapter from the harness if there is one. Also make sure there is no aftermarket accessory like a remote start tapped into the data line on the ALDL connector. The aftermarket radio issue effects 03-07 classic trucks. You could try pulling the radio and radio amp fuses first but since you keep bricking computers I would just go right to the chime adapter. Were you able to read the truck OK? Because usually they will fail reading if the radio is causing issues.
    Last edited by 2xLS1; 04-15-2019 at 10:06 PM.

Yes the file gets pulled with No issues its always the write process that fails. I will pull the radio apart tomorrow and the chime adapter as well and see how it does. I appreciate the input.
    2017 mustang gt

Potential Tuner
    I open a ticket today for the same thing on my 03 Yukon 6.0. Just did cam and heads it ran fine but I Wanted to bump the idle 50rpm and failed during write and has been down since. What kind of work was being done on the truck?

Any time I have one with an aftermarket radio I pull the radio fuse in the underhood fuse block (99-07 Classic Silverado). However, usually it will error out during reading as well. Indeed, most of the time the aftermarket chime module is the concern that is installed with the aftermarket radio.
    '17 Whipple'd S550
    Too many other projects to list.....see my YouTube channel for more: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCr7...-XfDG53sCh6tcw

I will try that right now when I get to the shop. It's a 6.0 swap with stage 1 cam the previous tuner had the transmission pressures too high and keeps blowing them. Hes been through 3 already so he wanted us to tune it.
    2017 mustang gt

Ok I removed the stereo and fuses and it worked. It wrote the entire file. Now I'm going back to the stock computer and trying it. I appreciate the help from everyone
    2017 mustang gt

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Tadias48 View Post
    Ok I removed the stereo and fuses and it worked. It wrote the entire file. Now I'm going back to the stock computer and trying it. I appreciate the help from everyone
    For future reference, I can fix bricked pcms, and change vin #'s if needed.
    Thanks,

Dustin