Thread: Lots of Knock and high sensor voltages

Senior Tuner

Lots of Knock and high sensor voltages

Check out the attached log, some knock retard at first fire up, during initial cold launch, and then a quick blip of 2nd gear showing 8* of knock retard. Working with a bunch of folks to determine if its a noisy 2618 piston problem, too much boost for 93 octane, etc etc. Have spent over a week checking all possible hitting of exhaust, etc etc and have not identified anything to cause false knock

Build specs:
    426 stroker (6.4L based), 9.5:1 compression
    thitek heads (2.20 intake)
    4.5L Whipple (5" upper, 10% lower), large oval TB
    kooks 2" primary headers, catless, corsa sport cat back
    Paramount Super Pro Nag1, 2800 stall
    Stock getrag 3.06 rear, dss axles, dss 4" driveshaft

Motor has under 100miles on it since first fire up, running on 93 octane.

Startup Tune 6.hpt
    WOT Startup Tune 6.hpl
    Startup Tune 6 Log 1.hpl
    Last edited by 06300CSRT8; 04-16-2019 at 01:16 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    Excuse my ignorance but I noticed on your WOT startup log commanded EQ ratio is 1 until just after knock. When do you have PE kick in, I would expect commanded to kick in when pedal voltage hits at least 2.5V?

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Homer View Post
    Excuse my ignorance but I noticed on your WOT startup log commanded EQ ratio is 1 until just after knock. When do you have PE kick in, I would expect commanded to kick in when pedal voltage hits at least 2.5V?
    It?s a quick stab of the throttle, if you look at the .csv extract it goes into PE mode. The vCM scanner interpolates a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by 06300CSRT8 View Post
    Check out the attached log, some knock retard at first fire up, during initial cold launch, and then a quick blip of 2nd gear showing 8* of knock retard. Working with a bunch of folks to determine if its a noisy 2618 piston problem, too much boost for 93 octane, etc etc. Have spent over a week checking all possible hitting of exhaust, etc etc and have not identified anything to cause false knock

Build specs:
    426 stroker (6.4L based), 9.5:1 compression
    thitek heads (2.20 intake)
    4.5L Whipple (5" upper, 10% lower), large oval TB
    kooks 2" primary headers, catless, corsa sport cat back
    Paramount Super Pro Nag1, 2800 stall
    Stock getrag 3.06 rear, dss axles, dss 4" driveshaft

Motor has under 100miles on it since first fire up, running on 93 octane.

Startup Tune 6.hpt
    WOT Startup Tune 6.hpl
    Startup Tune 6 Log 1.hpl

My 2618 drop in pistons light the knock sensors up when they are cold. Even at light throttle, I get at least 2-4* of knock until the motor warms up some.

From my understanding this is just a inherent design characteristic of the 2618 alloy. Once the engine is warm, they are very quite and I have zero oil usage.