Thread: Problem starting up build 15 coyote engine for the first time

Tuner

Problem starting up build 15 coyote engine for the first time

Hi, got some nut to crack here. We have a 5.0 build engine starting up for the first time. Engine hardly starts up but does not run on all cylinders. Pulling the plugs show normal ignition on Bank1, (Cylinder 1-4) whereas Bank 2 (Cylinder 5-8) plugs are all completly wet. Changes were Injectors from MU52 to 1050x, data is considered correct as to ID specs in the tunefile. Besides that no changes have been made to the previous known tune file. It looks like the complete Bank2 is affected. We discover no missfire sounds during engine operation, however gas smell is obviously present.

OBD Codes show:
    P0345 - Camshaft Position Sensor A Circuit (Bank2) (Pending)
    P0349 - Camshaft Position Sensor A Circuit Intermittent Bank2 (Pending)
    P0390 - Camshaft Position Sensor B Circuit (Bank2) (Pending)
    P0394 - Camshaft Position Sensor B Circuit Intermittent Bank2 (Pending)

Plugs are new and gapped properly on all cylinders. Cam position Sensors are in the correct location and seated properly, so do the front phaser solenoids. Double checked all wiring.

Anyone some ideas ?
    Last edited by G-Town-GT; 04-17-2019 at 10:48 AM.

Your timing chains are messed up - stop whatever you doing and fix this asap. Your issue is mechanical.
    Last edited by veeefour; 04-18-2019 at 12:26 AM.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by veeefour View Post
    Your timing chains are messed up - stop whatever you doing and fix this asap. You issue is mechanical.
    That was my next suspicion. So I called the engine builder and he claims everything is allright. He will forward me the documentation of the engine build with pictures of the cam timing. I'm curious on what that will show.

Yeah yeah, we had 2 engines like that already - classic symptoms. The same problem all over again - timing the 2 gen with 1 gen specs...

Tuner
    Agree, this sounds like the cams on bank 2 are out of phase. I’ve made this error myself, and those symptoms are exactly what I experienced.

When you time the cams on the coyote you have to rotate the engine a full 360 before lining up the marks on bank 2.

Tuner
    Thanks Guys, it was the timing issue - no question. It happened because he skipped to turn the crank a full 360 degree before settting the timing on bank 1.

Quote Originally Posted by G-Town-GT View Post
    Thanks Guys, it was the timing issue - no question. It happened because he skipped to turn the crank a full 360 degree before settting the timing on bank 1.
    Yeah I've seen it 10 times already. We fixed 2 new engines like that - trust but verify.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by veeefour View Post
    Yeah I've seen it 10 times already. We fixed 2 new engines like that - trust but verify.
    ok, i got the same issue, but i have a gen 2 engine, in a gen 1 truck, with gen 1 cams and timing set. any ideas before i take it all apart to re-time it. starts and idles good, very weak down low, any ideas?

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by parker1039 View Post
    ok, i got the same issue, but i have a gen 2 engine, in a gen 1 truck, with gen 1 cams and timing set. any ideas before i take it all apart to re-time it. starts and idles good, very weak down low, any ideas?
    Gen 2 trucks use a different firing order than gen 1, did you account for this?

Quote Originally Posted by B E N View Post
    Gen 2 trucks use a different firing order than gen 1, did you account for this?
    At some point firing order for 5.0 in F150 changed. Not sure when exactly but I believe up to 2014 F150 was the same.
    Ford changed the order along with new harmonic balancer and crankshaft - I have no detailed spec regarding this issue.

Quote Originally Posted by parker1039 View Post
    As mentioned above verify that you have the same firing order programmed. If not change in your tune in SPARK tab and report back

Advanced Tuner
    2015 F 150 firing order
    11 = 1
    10 = 3
    9 = 7
    8 = 2
    7 = 6
    6 = 5
    5 = 4
    4 = 8
    3 = 9
    2 = 10
    1 = 11
    0 = 12
    Last edited by mstang_man; 11-12-2019 at 02:43 PM.

Potential Tuner
    My friend . Wanted to ask the exact sequence for setting gen 2 coyote timing ? Is it bank 2 first , spin engine full 360 Toni g mark 12oclock on crank then set bank 1 or vice versa? Any help would be appreciated 🙏🏼 Goin nuts with this car

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Bayboy View Post
    My friend . Wanted to ask the exact sequence for setting gen 2 coyote timing ? Is it bank 2 first , spin engine full 360 Toni g mark 12oclock on crank then set bank 1 or vice versa? Any help would be appreciated ���� Goin nuts with this car
    Skip to minute 13.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SsG1oWkQJs