Thread: Need some help with reading CM848 controller!

Angry Need some help with reading CM848 controller!

Hey guys. So I've read over and over again about how to supposedly auto generate a read file for 03-07 controllers, but for some reason I simply can not get this truck to read! Clearly I must be doing something wrong here. Please correct me if I'm wrong with my process....

1) Do a read entire
    2) Insert VIN
    3) Select applicable controller (early 04, so CM848 I assume?)
    4) Read vehicle
    5) File magically auto generates and you're on your happy way.

Problem for me is that last step just isn't happening! Attached is a pic of all that happens for me. Nothing beyond this.

I appreciate the help here guys. Hopefully it's just something silly and stupid on my end that I'm missing here.
    Last edited by Freakotec; 04-17-2019 at 04:09 PM.
    09 Cobalt SS - E47+EFR6758 =

07 Silverado ECSB LBZ Duramax - Bunches of goodies

Banned
    All I did with my 2012 is sync the interface, plug everything in, load VCM Editor and read vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Jim P View Post
    All I did with my 2012 is sync the interface, plug everything in, load VCM Editor and read vehicle
    You're absolutely right. With every other vehicle I've ever tuned it's a simple as reading the entire ECM/PCM and go about your editing. Apparently with these older CM845 and CM848 controllers they don't support read with HPT, only write. So somehow, when you enter your VIN (which I did when prompted to do so), a stock file is supposed to auto generate and you edit your tune based off of that. Problem is, I can't seem to get this file to auto generate soooo I'm dead in the water here.

Banned
    No the cm845 and cm848 don?t support a real read. Some calls to the ecm can be made to get the vin and a couple other things and PID?s but the entire flash memory can?t be read. I?ve never used hp tuners on a cm845 and cm848 myself. Never used hp tuners on my own 2012 other than to get a stock file and did one datalog with the VCM scanner.

Damn, I really need to get this sorted.

What are you tuning your '12 with? Efilive? MM3?

Banned
    MM3. Much less restrictions when it comes to user defined parameters, like zero restrictions.

freakotec
    Is the scanner function working when you are hooked to the truck? the interface may not be seeing the ecm. I have done several of these and I have never had an issue with it. Editor will see and recognize the module, it just will not read it.
    1969 nova w/ ls3
    2020 ram hemi
    2009 ALS-V Cadillac
    99 s10 w/ 09 G8 L76 turbo

Quote Originally Posted by ltcbm View Post
    freakotec
    Is the scanner function working when you are hooked to the truck? the interface may not be seeing the ecm. I have done several of these and I have never had an issue with it. Editor will see and recognize the module, it just will not read it.
    Yes sir. The scanner will connect and log. Albeit crazy slow, but it will log. I can also gather controller info with the editor along with info logs, so the interface is indeed connecting. I've been going back and forth with support to find a resolution. They've been very helpful thus far so hopefully we can find an easy solution. I just want the damn oem file so I can get to tuning! lol

Itcbm with that said, would you happen to have any oem CM848 with an auto trans, OS - 15305153AI kicking around. Would you?

This was over a year ago and with mpvi1 So not sure if its relevant anymore.

Read and flashed an 03 without issue, a month or so later tried an 04... It let me read (or so I think it did) but when I tried to flash modified file back it wouldn't accept.

I had to send the mpvi1 back for them to repair it, not sure what the repair was. They did it fast and when I got it back everything was good...
    There were a few files that were e-mailed back and fourth to support before I was told to ship it back
    2011 Camaro 2SS Convertible L99 Bone Stock for now
    2003 Dodge 2500 5.9 Cummins QC 4x4. Airaid, 2nd Gen Intake, Grid Heater Delete, D-Tech 62/65/12, Magnaflow. Bully Dog: Propane Injection, Triple Dog W/Outlook Crazy Larry. Edge EZ, BD Flow-Max, 48RE: Sonnax Sure Cure/Transgo combination, Derale turbulator, billet input, Triple Disc, Super servo, 4 ring Accumulator. :beer

Tuner in Training
    I vaguely recall reading a post of someone with an 03 that had a pin in the wrong spot in the OBD2 port. Probably not the case since you're able to log but it's a thought

I have an 03 with a cm845 and first ti i read it it gave me a message that it cant be read but it will generate a stock file...that's it

Thanks for the input guys. Unfortunately HPT was never able to read this truck for whatever reason, nor was support able to assist me in resolving the issue. Fortunately the customer already had an Insight Pro at home which we were able to use to pull the stock file. Truck is now running like a beast, however I was still never able to sort out exactly why I could not get a file to generate on this truck.

Banned
    HPT thinks their poop don?t stink and there is never any issue with their stuff.