Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: adjusting stoic afr table to accomodate 10% E

Advanced Tuner

adjusting stoic afr table to accomodate 10% E

I was toying around with the fact of changing the 0% column to around 14.4 to account for the 10% ethanol in pump gas. I'm not going to be running any type of flex fuel so is this necessary? I mean it's only a 2% difference (14.7-14.4/14.7), but i'm ocd when it comes to my tune
    Last edited by sgod1100; 04-17-2019 at 06:57 PM.

Never bothered, won't make a lick of difference if you ask me.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    Never bothered, won't make a lick of difference if you ask me.
    Won't that somewhat effect WOT considering you are in OL and the EQ ratio is based off of that stoic number?

I always set stoich to around 14.2 most times leaving it at 14.68 already throws it off about half a point

Email Tunes, [email protected]
    96 TA Blown/Stroked, 4L80E/Fab 9
    15 C7 A8 H/C 2.3 Blower/PI
    14 Gen 5 Viper
    Custom Mid Engine chassis, AKA GalBen C

Advanced Tuner
    Do you have a virtual flex fuel adjustment in the cal? If so, it will adjust. If not, it wouldn’t hurt to change it. I have the actual alcohol sensor installed/activated and at 10% it commands 14.1. I’ve changed the commanded afr on my older vehicles(non flex fuel) to 14.1, though they are completely stock. Probably doesn’t matter, but, OCD I guess.

Fuel here is never really 10%, it always varies a little bit so I don't even bother changing it. Haven't run into a single issue with trims or WOT fueling when leaving it around 14.6-14.7 running ~E10.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by NotSure View Post
    Do you have a virtual flex fuel adjustment in the cal? If so, it will adjust. If not, it wouldn’t hurt to change it. I have the actual alcohol sensor installed/activated and at 10% it commands 14.1. I’ve changed the commanded afr on my older vehicles(non flex fuel) to 14.1, though they are completely stock. Probably doesn’t matter, but, OCD I guess.
    No i do not have a FF sensor in it. That's why I'm asking because I know that it won't adjust based on the E content

Advanced Tuner
    But if I'm running a stoic ratio of 14.68 that means that if i want an 11.5 afr the eq ratio will need to be 1.276. Now if i keep that same eq ratio but there is 10% E in the gas then it would be 14.2/1.276=11.1 afr......so it's almost a half of a point difference. Seems like a pretty big difference to me

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    Fuel here is never really 10%, it always varies a little bit so I don't even bother changing it. Haven't run into a single issue with trims or WOT fueling when leaving it around 14.6-14.7 running ~E10.
    cool, maybe i'll just leave mine be

Quote Originally Posted by sgod1100 View Post
    But if I'm running a stoic ratio of 14.68 that means that if i want an 11.5 afr the eq ratio will need to be 1.276. Now if i keep that same eq ratio but there is 10% E in the gas then it would be 14.2/1.276=11.1 afr......so it's almost a half of a point difference. Seems like a pretty big difference to me
    It’s exactly half a point...

14 Gen 5 Viper

I think he means the PE afr..

Quote Originally Posted by Scottgt21 View Post
    I think he means the PE afr..

That too since PE is Just a multiplier anyways

14 Gen 5 Viper

Advanced Tuner
    right, so if i'm commanding an 11.5 and my commanded matches my actual i really could be at 11.1 with 10% E if my stoic is at 14.68 correct?

No...if stoich is 14.68 you would be at 11.5

Set stoich correct, always...
    Forget AFR, learn lambda and look at commanded lambda

14 Gen 5 Viper

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Charles View Post
    No...if stoich is 14.68 you would be at 11.5

Set stoich correct, always...
    Forget AFR, learn lambda and look at commanded lambda
    ok, but isn't commanded lambda a function of what your stoic is set to?

Quote Originally Posted by sgod1100 View Post
    ok, but isn't commanded lambda a function of what your stoic is set to?
    Yes it is. 10% E is 14.13. It's best to set the stoic table and leave it. It really comes into play when changing the timing based on E content then it can go bad fast if not reported right to the ECU.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by asteggall View Post
    Yes it is. 10% E is 14.13. It's best to set the stoic table and leave it. It really comes into play when changing the timing based on E content then it can go bad fast if not reported right to the ECU.
    agreed, but my car doesn't have a flex fuel sensor from the factory (2014 ctsv) so that is why i was asking about changing that stoic number to something like 14.4 (in the middle of 0 and 10% E) or just leave it the way it is from the factory which is 14.68.

Advanced Tuner
    Change it. If the fuel in your area is consistently e10 then adjust the afr to that, if the fuel varies in your area or travels then maybe split the difference. But I don’t know if you can even get pure gas at your average pump anymore. I have to go out of my way to buy “rec” gas (recreational, and no alcohol) to put in small engines like the mower, generator, etc to help to avoid storage issues.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by NotSure View Post
    Change it. If the fuel in your area is consistently e10 then adjust the afr to that, if the fuel varies in your area or travels then maybe split the difference. But I don’t know if you can even get pure gas at your average pump anymore. I have to go out of my way to buy “rec” gas (recreational, and no alcohol) to put in small engines like the mower, generator, etc to help to avoid storage issues.
    gotcha, I think i will. thanks for everyone's input

set the stoich table to 14.2 and leave it.... then adjust the other tables for PE ratio accordingly...
    06MonteSS

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, Custom paint-matched Bowtie emblems, Custom painted SS emblems, BMR strut tower brace, CAI - Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Bo White Ported/Polished throttle body, Custom DiabLew Tune