Thread: wideband gauge install

Tuner in Training

wideband gauge install

I was looking into installing a Innovate DLG-1 https://www.summitracing.com/parts/inn-3891/overview/ I looked it up on you tube and found the a video where they installed it in the rear o2 bungs behind the hiflow cats on a 16 Camaro SS with LT headers. Thought that would be convenient. Then I read the instructions for the gauge and it said not to install after the cats as it will skew the reading lean. Iv seen tuners tune with the o2 in the exhaust tip. Is having the o2s installed after the high flow cats ok? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcXNO-SrjXI
    Last edited by JCunningham; 04-17-2019 at 10:55 PM.

No, it will not work like you want it too.

In a crude way of saying it, at full throttle there is so much exhaust flow that the cats can't keep up and you can still get decent air fuel ratio readings using a tail pipe mounted wideband. It's common for dyno shops to do that and they likely know if their sensor reads to the lean or rich side when mounted way back there and works around it.

At anything other than full throttle the cat will always skew the readings in some way as it's going to break down the gases. Always install the wideband before the cat if you truly want to trust the numbers and have zero second thoughts.

Depending on what year vehicle you own, anything using CAN-BUS can run the AEM OBD2 wideband. It makes install a breeze with zero extra wiring or setup.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    My ARH headers are Swain Tech coated. I knew I should have welded in bungs befor I got them coated. I dont want to grind off coating to weld in the bungs so I guess I wont be installing widebands. unless i decide to go catless. dont think i want to do that. dont like sulfur smell. thanks for the reply.

You can still use the wideband in the primary o2 sensor hole, then remove it once you have it tuned.

Lots of people do that.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    im looking to keep the gauge in the car.

My WB controller has a narrow band output. I ran that to the signal wire that used to go to the stock narrow band sensor. ECM is happy thinking it has a narrow band, my WB gauge inside is happy as well
    2006 Pontiac GTO
    M6
    Flex Fuel enabled
    FIC1000 shorty Injectors
    DW300C Fuel pump
    UPP GTO Auxiliary fuel system
    BoostDistrict LSA Conversion
    BTR Stage 3 PDS Torque cam and kit
    Kooks Longtube headers with High Flow Cat mids
    BoostDistrict LSA CAI with LS7 MAF module
    Mickey Mouse Catch Can
    Hinson 1/2" lowered Engine Mounts