Thread: 6L80/90, setting up to start in 2nd gear

Senior Tuner

6L80/90, setting up to start in 2nd gear

I thought figuring out which shift pattern it was using in sport mode, then setting the 1-2 shift to 0 mph would be enough to start it out in second gear but its not. Any other ideas on how to make it do this
    Factory Stock 97 SS M6 13.51 @ 104.3 mph
    Stock Longblock LS1 w/ 233/238 P.S.I. Cam
    10.81 @ 126.9 Full interior, six speed on 275 radials, a decade ago

'99 TA trunk mounted 76mm 6 Liter
    9.0s in '09 @ 153 MPH

Turbo 5.3 Volvo 740 Wagon
    32psi and still winding out 5th on the highway somewhere

Potential Tuner
    I'm doing some work trying to fit a 6L90 out of a 2016 Express 2500 into my 70 Chevelle. It is using the TCM-2650. I'm telling you this because in the process of doing all of this work I have become pretty familiar with the "Digital Inputs" and settings of the 6L90. At least using the PCS TCM unit and wiring.
    I have to assume that the setting called "Snow" was originally programmed into this system for use on regular vehicles. If you turn on the "Snow" setting it tells the 6L90 to start off in 2nd gear, instead of first. I made a mental note of this because it will help me when setting up launch at the Drag Strip.
    So, all you need to do is tell the tranmission you want to go into "Snow" Mode and it will start off in 2nd gear for you. That shoould be pretty simple. Typically is is a matter of programming the input and then using a switch to power or ground that input. For this type of switch I would normally ground the input to set the mode.

Advanced Tuner
    in full auto aka drive mode you can't make it do 2nd gear starts but in tapshift mode you can.

unless you can send the relevant can signal to switch modes

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Tre-Cool View Post
    in full auto aka drive mode you can't make it do 2nd gear starts but in tapshift mode you can.

unless you can send the relevant can signal to switch modes
    This is very intresting..... 1st gear too low for me.

So whats the solution for me, running a A6 from a corvette 2009 -600whp without BCU and dont have tapshift....