Thread: Ford Readiness Monitors / Emissions Tests

Ford Readiness Monitors / Emissions Tests

Hey guys,

There is a very long thread on this subject already, but all the information is scattered throughout and the title is too specific: https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...diness-Monitor

If you want to become more knowledgeable about these tests, read that thread. Jn2, Witt and others contributed a lot of work there. I figured we could condense the thread for people's reference.

Here are some settings that Jn2 had success with: https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...l=1#post502041

I took the most detailed description of the Ford drive cycle I could find and converted to table format for the forum. By far, people struggle most with the HEGO / O2 sensors, so pay close attention to step #5

Steps #1 and #2 don't really apply to us.

OBDII Monitor
    Exercised
    Drive Cycle Procedure
    Purpose of
    Drive Cycle Procedure
    Drive Cycle
    Preparation
    1. Install scan tool. Turn key on with the engine off. Cycle key off, then on. Select appropriate Vehicle & Engine qualifier. Clear all DTC's/ Perform a PCM Reset.

2. Begin to monitor the following PIDs: ECT, EVAPDC, FLI (if available) and TP MODE.
    Start vehicle WITHOUT returning to Key Off.

3. Idle vehicle for 15 seconds. Drive at 64 Km/h (40 MPH) until ECT is at least 76.7?C (170? F).
    Bypasses engine soak timer. Resets OBDII Monitor status.
    Prep for Monitor Entry 4. Is IAT 40 to 100? F? If Not, complete the following steps but, note that step 14 will be required to "bypass " the Evap monitor and clear the P1000. Engine warm-up and provide IAT input to the PCM.
    HEGO 5. Cruise at 40 MPH for up to 4 minutes. (some people say 4 mi) (No cruise control!) Executes the HEGO monitor.
    HEGO 2nd gear 4800 RPM 10-20 seconds. O2 heater test
    EVAP 6. Cruise at 45 to 65 MPH for 10 minutes (avoid sharp turns and hills) Note, to initiate the monitor: TP MODE should =PT, EVAPDC must be >75%, and FLI must be between 15 and 85% Executes the EVAP Monitor (If IAT is within 40 to 100?F)
    Catalyst 7. Drive in stop and go traffic conditions. Include five different constant cruise speeds, ranging from 40 to 72 Km/h (25 to 45 MPH) over a 10 minute period. Executes the Catalyst Monitor.
    EGR 8. From a stop, accelerate to 72 Km/h (45 MPH) at 1/2 to 3/4 throttle. Repeat 3 times. Executes the EGR Monitor.
    SEC AIR/CCM (Engine) 9. Bring the vehicle to a stop. Idle with transmission in drive (neutral for M/T) for 2 minutes. Executes the ISC portion of the CCM.
    CCM (Trans) 10. For M/T, accelerate from 0 to 80 Km/h (o to 50 MPH), continue to step 11. For A/T, from a stop and in overdrive, moderately accelerate to 80 Km/h (50 MPH) and cruise for at least 15 seconds. Stop vehicle and repeat without overdrive to 64 Km/h (40 MPH) cruising for at least 30 seconds. While at 64 Km/h (40 MPH) , activate overdrive and accelerate to 80 Km/h (50 MPH) and cruise for at least 15 seconds. Stop for at least 20 seconds and repeat step 10 five times. Executes the transmission portion of the CCM.
    Misfire & Fuel Monitors 11. From a stop, accelerate to 65 MPH. Decelerate at closed throttle until 40 MPH (no brakes). Repeat this 3 times. Allows learning for the misfire monitor.
    Readiness Check 12. Access the ON-Board System Readiness (OBDII monitor status) function on the scan tool. Determine whether all non-continuous monitors have completed. If not, go to step 13. Determines if any monitor has not completed.
    Pending Code Check and Evap Monitor "Bypass" Check 13. With the scan tool, check for pending codes. Conduct normal repair procedures for any pending code concern. Otherwise, rerun any incomplete monitor.
    Note: if the EVAP monitor is not complete AND IAT was out of the 4.4 to 37.8? C (40 to 100? F) temperature range in step #4, or the altitude is over 2438 m. (8000 ft.), the Evap "bypass" procedure must be followed.
    Proceed to step 14.
    Determines if a pending code is preventing the clearing of P1000.
    Evap Monitor "Bypass" 14. Park vehicle for a minimum of 8 hours. Repeat steps 2 through 12. DO NOT REPEAT STEP 1. Allow the "bypass" counter to increment to two.

For rear o2 to complete on same drive cycle, may take more than one drive cycle.
    1. Must complete Fuel System test
    2. Must complete Cat Mon CMS
    3. Must complete EGR
    4. O2 sensor to 1360-1500f egt
    5. DFSO 3 times
    6. May not complete in one drive cycle.

Tested only once per drive cycle. When monitor says Not Enabled, test has run.

Potential Tuner
    Ok thanks, I Will try that Method tonight. For some strange reason when installed my High flow Catalytic Converters and I accidently reset my Monitors, it is taking longer for my Cat Monitor to pass.

I can't thank the knowledgable people on this forum enough. Got all my monitors ready. In an effort to help others, here are the details:

2012 Mustang GT
    Cobra Jet intake
    65mm twin throttle body
    FPP intake (102mm inlet)
    1-3/4 Hooker long tubes
    Flowmaster mini cats
    factory post O2s behind mini cats
    3" Hooker exhaust

1) Car triggered P0420 and P0430.
    2) Read this ENTIRE thread: https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...-Monitor/page8
    3) Copied and applied Cobra Jet transport delay and transport delay time constant from 2013 Cobra Jet tune downloaded from repository
    4) Copied and applied settings from this post: https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...l=1#post524751
    5) Completed drive cycle here: https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...l=1#post567518
    6) Oxygen sensor and heater monitors weren't ready, but went out and did three WOT data logs anyway to tune my MAF.
    7) By the time I got back to the house, all monitors were ready!

If any codes come up, I'll let you know. Regardless, THANK YOU for all the great info on this forum.

For what it's worth, here is the tune file that got all my monitors ready:

Wes 2012 Mustang GT Cobra Jet Headers OBD Test Readiness.hpt

Potential Tuner
    Hi all, I really need some help.

My 2013 Ford Police Interceptor Utility with the 3.7L engine option will not pass MA emissions inspection due to the O2 sensors and O2 sensor heaters not readying up. I've done every drive cycle under the sun, replaced all 4 sensors with OEM sensors (FoMoCo straight from the Ford dealer), there is NOT a P1000 code (or any other code, not even P0420 or P0430 for the cats) being thrown. No stored or pending codes being thrown at all. Only O2 sensors and O2 sensor heaters coming up in IM readiness checks being "INC" or "Not Ready." This thing came straight from a police department, so I know that no tunes have been applied to it.

I talked to the MAC center, and they can't give me an exemption because it hasn't passed any inspections under my new ownership of the vehicle. It doesn't matter how much money has been put into it - it cannot be exempt if it's the first inspection under new ownership. That information was given to me by two different MAC centers over the phone.

Three different shops, one of them being my local Ford dealer, have tried doing the drive cycles, to no avail.

I've put ~6,000 miles on the odometer total since purchasing the vehicle 3 months ago.

One of the shops supposedly put it into "force ready" mode as well. That didn't work. I don't 100% know what that means, but they claimed to have an official Ford IDS computer... Maybe it's a feature on that device?

the latest thing I tried was leaving the battery unhooked overnight and then doing countless drive cycles afterward. I have driven nearly 400 miles, most of which were spent doing drive cycles. I've had 10 warm-up cycles since having the battery unhooked overnight, according to my Autel scanner.

Voltages look normal in the real-time data on the Autel for the O2 sensors.

Catalytic converters get up to normal temperature according to the Autel - when idling, they sit around 950 degrees.

Sensor Data pic 1

Sensor Data pic 2

Sensor Data pic 3

This hasn't been able to pass an inspection since I bought the vehicle from a used car dealer. Said dealer has been paying for every shop to look at it so far, but they don't want to pay anymore because they've lost all their profit and they want to buy the vehicle back from me now but only for the price I paid for it. I've done $2000 of upfitting to it (nothing electrical - I added a brush guard, rear seats (it didn't have 2nd row seats), center console, all of the fluid changes (tranny, PTU, engine oil, diff fluid), I polished all of the paint and waxed it... I've put tons of work into it already, all before I knew this was gonna be such a problem). He says "just take all the stuff off!" Sure, I'll just spend hours and hours removing all of the stuff, and trying to get my money back for it! Oh, and not to mention the $600 I spent to register the thing (mostly taxes). Won't get that back if I sell it back to the dealer. NOT happening. Facepalm lol.

If anyone has any ideas, please hit me up. I'm in love with this damn thing haha... I really hope I can get it to pass inspection ASAP so I don't have to keep dealing with this pissy dealer.

Thanks in advance everyone. ♥