Thread: Engine temp question

Tuner in Training

Engine temp question

While logging for an idle tune I notice the recorded engine temp climbing into the 230 range. The dash gauge reads 210. It doesn't seem as though it is getting hot. I can grab the upper hose and while its hot it wont burn me and I can squeeze it pretty easily. The fans are running and all seems good. What could be causing the temp to read that high? Or is the scanner temp correct and the dash gauge off?

The cluster is always kinda off. It can read 210 in many vehicles but the real temp is about 10-15 degrees less or even slightly higher like you are seeing.

Even when I see the engine warming up, I already know that when the needle moves off of 160 in my truck that it's still much colder.

But seeing 230 in the scanner but still being able to touch the hose without burning yourself makes me think the sensor could be a tad off.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Found the problem. Coolant level was slightly low. The water pump is leaking, new problem. re-filled and temp holds 196 steady now.