Thread: Noob...A few questions (2015 Mustang GT)

Noob...A few questions (2015 Mustang GT)

Hello everyone, I got my MPVI2 a few hours ago today. I've updated it and I'm ready to go except I haven't bought any credits yet. Over the weekend I plan on reading the car, and then doing a lot of reading up on stuff before I buy credits and try it.

I have heard some talk about "strategies" and I believe I read someone say something like you read your PCM, then write to it (2 credits) then you change the strategy, which is a different VIN so it takes 2 more credits to change that, and then 2 last credits to write it to the car. My question is perhaps amazingly simple...

What is the difference in strategy? Is it literally like changing the tables that are available and how they work? Maybe something like changing the voltage defined as a knock (e.g. something you don't have access to in the tables) Or is it just the values in the tables? To put this into perspective, I like the Power Pack 1 tune, so if I found an hpt file of it, would copying/pasting the values into my stock one do the same thing? Obviously a lot of time difference, but it would seem that this would negate the need for all the credits. I'm asking this rhetroricorally, it's not a cost thing - it's just trying to wrap my head around the strategy thing.

I have a stock car with a custom x-pipe and rousch AB. I'm guessing that has no appreciable affect on tune. I also have a steeda CAI, but I am currently running it with the insert. I'd like to pull the insert to get greater flow. I'd also like to tune for 91 octane (the reference to the FRPP I made above). Also, I really want to nullify the cold start craziness. I spent a lot of time looking over the tables and I think I figured out how to fix the cold start craziness (Cold start retard and idle speed settings) but I'm curious if there is a decent noob guide that someone on here created? I know about the Tuner School and heard about the Coyote Cookbook, but I'm looking for something more basic than that. I'm in no rush to do anything other than the cold start nonsense right now - the other things I'm totally fine with "absorbing" over time. I'm old enough to know to take it slow.

Thanks everyone. Hope y'all have a great Easter weekend and I look forward to learning from everyone.

Tuner in Training
    You wont need credits until you go to write the new tune file to the car, and its only going to be 2 credits to write the tune to the car [unless you have a newer model that requires more credits]. You can read any pcm file without using credits, and once you've used the credits on a vehicle you can re-write the tune as many times as you want or revert it back to stock as many times as you want. Always make back-ups of the stock file and store them separate from your tune files so you don't ever lose them or write over them. As far as the [ strategies ] mostly everything in a tune file is a table in x-axis, y-axis form, You do have columns that have boxes with values in them and can be adjusted depending on the value limits in the description. Each table uses one or more pids to calculate its proper command [ e.x. to know what spark the car should use the computer gets input from absolute load and rpm then sends output to run what ever timing is set for those given parameters at that given moment]. You pretty much have access to everything and can change pretty much anything you want. Also I wouldn't copy in another file unless you're for sure its going to work and have backups incase something happens you can re-flash the last known working tune, I would compare the 2 files and see what's all been changed and why they changed it first. If you post your tune file and a log when you post something it'll help to go into more detail and make it easier for people to answer your questions. But if you have anymore questions just post them.