Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Where does MAX TRQ come from?

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by eficalibrator View Post
    So I'm just making it to this thread. Thanks for the kind words. Obviously, this discussion wasn't around when I was filming a lot of the video stuff last year, but I'm glad your practical experience is lining up with what I teach and know to be true about torque based controls.

YES, there are TONS of maps/tables/functions that you are not seeing in HPT. They display maybe a couple thousand parameters/tables. There are over 12,000 in a typical modern ECU. A lot of the torque model details (like torque inverse tables, for example) are not visible in HPT as I mentioned in the video. Luckily, we have enough access to hit the critical points to make these engines run properly with most common modifications.
    I know it may be a conflict of interest for you since you work for the oems, but if there's anything you can do to help us get adaptive controls in t87/t87A tcms I think we would be infinitely grateful lol

Advanced Tuner
    I've noticed the VVE has a significant weight in the max torque value. Increase it everywhere by 20%, yet run maf only and it should increase from the previous VE table values.

Quote Originally Posted by cesar View Post
    I've noticed the VVE has a significant weight in the max torque value. Increase it everywhere by 20%, yet run maf only and it should increase from the previous VE table values.
    Going that route unfortunately would mean the VVE airmodel is incorrect therefore outputting incorrect values. Not saying that it does not work, but it is a bandaid and nothing more.

I am inclined to believe that the MAXTrq displayed is from unseen tables/equations with OS based modifiers, as previously pointed out. Until those tables are found and properly mapped, we are stuck getting things as close as possible with what we have to work with.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Higgs Boson View Post
    Have you tuned your maf AND VVE tables in every cell possible to exactly 0% error?
    Yeah thats impossible unless you drive in a climate controlled garage
    Factory Stock 97 SS M6 13.51 @ 104.3 mph
    Stock Longblock LS1 w/ 233/238 P.S.I. Cam
    10.81 @ 126.9 Full interior, six speed on 275 radials, a decade ago

'99 TA trunk mounted 76mm 6 Liter
    9.0s in '09 @ 153 MPH

Turbo 5.3 Volvo 740 Wagon
    32psi and still winding out 5th on the highway somewhere

Quote Originally Posted by GrannySShifting View Post
    it's not impossible if you do it all at once and then you will stay within +/- 2% after that.

and anyways, you know what I mean.....being 10, 20, 30% off on your air models and screwing with your torque model is just plain dumb.

and here's what I have learned after years of management, if you expect perfection, you won't get it, because nothing is perfect, and you need to be ok with that, but if you expect anything less than perfection you are going to get complete crap.

high standards. inspect what you expect. no climate controlled garage excuses. better results.

Quote Originally Posted by GrannySShifting View Post
    You need a hug? Maybe some coffee with an Irish Kick?

Most should understand what he meant and as the thread went on to explain how important dialing the air models were. Spending the time to get those models dialed is time well spent as things really do start to line up and the weird stuff become less and less.

Quote Originally Posted by Higgs Boson View Post
    it's not impossible if you do it all at once and then you will stay within +/- 2% after that.

and anyways, you know what I mean.....being 10, 20, 30% off on your air models and screwing with your torque model is just plain dumb.

and here's what I have learned after years of management, if you expect perfection, you won't get it, because nothing is perfect, and you need to be ok with that, but if you expect anything less than perfection you are going to get complete crap.

high standards. inspect what you expect. no climate controlled garage excuses. better results.

Expect from others what you would expect from yourself and never settle for less.
    Trust but verify, everything.