Thread: Selection of wide angle camera on phone...YES!

Potential Tuner

Selection of wide angle camera on phone...YES!

I just wanted to post this to the forum for others to reference because I could not find this info anywhere else...

On SOME phones with multiple cameras, TrackAddict will allow you to select which one you want to use. Specifically, I was able to access the wide-angle lense on my LG V35, which gives a much better field of view on track. It was not able to recognize the wide angle camera on my Motorola X4, however.

I love these wide angle lenses on phones. Great for vacation photos and, now, great for the track. I'll never buy a phone without one.

Currently, the other guy's program can't do this. Well done HPTuners!!!

Thanks! Yes, we've tried to offer the best support that we can for selecting any of the phone's cameras, and I had first developed that for the LG G5 I had at the time, but some of the other phones just don't let us enumerate their cameras in the same way. It ends up being up to the manufacturer's implementation, which is also the story for the 4K recording option... My Pixel 3 XL can do 4K but only lists front and back cameras, while the G5 can do all 3 cameras but no 4K.

I'm hopeful that Android's camera API's will improve in the future so that we can get the best of both worlds, as we are intentionally using a more dated approach right now due to that having better overall compatibility and fewer complications.