Thread: Way to watch cam and crank signal in MVPI2?

Tuner in Training

Way to watch cam and crank signal in MVPI2?

I want to watch the wave patterns of both the cam & crank sensors. Want to overlay them / view at the same time. Not seeing the options to do such in the scanner.

You would need an oscilloscope connected to the actual sensors.

Tuner in Training
    Can't the ECU see the high and low signals ? It obiously does something with signals thus the program should be able to see what they are. Beleive the software can read the injector and coil pulses so why can't it read the Cam & Crank signals?

Of course it reads them to know the location of the cam and crank but it does not need to show the waveform in the scanner. It shows the relevant information such as rpm and angle.

Tuner in Training
    Intent is to watch or find out if the sensors are adjusted / properly in relation to the reluctors. Non LS application but using LS electronics. Sensor holders have adjustments to dial in their positions. While the reluctors are marked and I can get it close, I would like to line them up to exact as possible. Once its set, thats it.

Is there a way to skew the cam & crank relative timing in the software?

You can read crank and cam sensor counts but I don't think that is very useful. No you cant tweak these sensor timings with this software. You would have to verify spark timing with a timing light, and if off, adjust your timing value to make up the difference.

If you ask HPT to look around for crank and cam signal timing offset maybe they can find something, I would think the code would have it somewhere. Then you could use these ECU's on older engines that they don't offer support for, would have to attach a matching reluctor to the front of the crank and cam (or distributor) is all.
    Last edited by 10_SS; 04-23-2019 at 11:54 AM.
    2010 Camaro LS3 (E38 ECU - Spark only). MS3X running complete RTT fuel control (wideband).
    Whipple 2.9L, 3.875" Pulley, kit injectors, supplied MSD Boost-A-Pump, stock pump
    LG Motorsports 1 7/8" Headers - No Cats, stock mid pipe with JBA Axle Back
    ZL1 Wheels/Tires